Questions regarding image sizes

sephirothnzsephirothnz Member Posts: 7
Hi, new to the forum. I'm currently in the pre-production phase of my game and some questions came to mind but at this point in time I'm unable to test as I dont yet have Gamesalad installed (because I havent purchased a Mac yet), but I would like to start production on some of the graphic elements within the game.

I read in the FAQ section about keeping the size of images to the power of 2 for optimal performance. If i were to make a background image for a level at lets say 512x256 this according to my eye, looks a bit too long for an iphone or ipod touch. Does that mean Gamesalad will compress the dimensions to get it to fit the screen size? Or do you somehow position the background image so that edges go outside the viewable boundaries of the device? I'm hoping that it's neither and that it will just fit nicely in the viewable area.

Can someone shed light on this please. I really need to get some work done on backgrounds but I don't want the images to get warped somehow in the program and then have to resize or repaint them and i ideally want them to display exactly the way they look to me when I create them in photoshop.

Thanks alot :)

Comments

• youngster9youngster9 Member Posts: 326
    The screen size of the ipod touch and iphone screen is 480x320
    If you make images this size it will fit perfectly on the screen. Also in GameSalad you can change the size of your image and it's location using the attributes of the actor.

Hope this answers all your questions
  • sephirothnzsephirothnz Member Posts: 7
    that does help alot thanks. also what is the exact dimensions for a background that will be on an ipad game?
  • youngster9youngster9 Member Posts: 326
    1024x768

If you ever forget just google ipad or iphone screen size and you will get the numbers
  • sephirothnzsephirothnz Member Posts: 7
    i feel a bit stupid now lol but thanks. just needed to know from someone that uses gamesalad so i dont run into any problems. :)