Creating elements in sidescrolling platformer

butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
So I have a question about a couple of elements of a sidescrolling platformer that I have yet to attempt, and wanted to see how others are approaching it:

1) How would I spawn, say, a creature in a sidescrolling platformer running the other direction of the player that is non-collidable, and just an added element for looks

2) Also, if you have a tree in the background, and want to animate leaves falling, would you create the tree as a separate image, and then spawn leaves in that position? If you spawn leaves, would it be relative to scene, or relative to actor? And you'd find a place somewhere on the X and Y axis correct?

These are simple questions, but I just want to see how people are approaching this!

(sorry haven't been on here as of lately, and should have posted this under game design support, my apologies!)

Comments

• JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    1) Spawn actor, non collideable, move to (maybe an area off screen), destroy actor.
    (this is my guess, haven't actually done it)

2) I thought about doing animated backgrounds in my game. I thought about the leaf thing also. I was going to make the tree separate from the background & then animate the leaf (or leaves) falling from the tree. I wouldn't do the spawn actor or anything like that. In my opinion making it an animation would be easier.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    1) that sounds about right, I'm going to try it

2) I think animating the tree would be easier too than spawning leaves and animating them

Also, in a sidescrolling platformer, I have gravity added to the scene, and all the elements, but I want clouds to be able to pass through, and since gravity has been added to the scene, they move in an angle downwards.

How do you prevent this? I tried constrain to y axis, but that didn't work.

Should I change the physics of the clouds?

Thanks!
  • JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    I haven't tinkered with gravity yet, so I'm not sure on that one.