What is the best format for images?

ZaHeRZaHeR Member Posts: 3
Hi guys ...

I am working on my game graphics ..

when it come to the graphics exporting .. what is the best format ?

I know that most images format are acceptable ...

but , since I will start from zero ... I wanna know .. Which format does Gamesalad deal with perfectly .. without any problems specially in the edges of the photos ..

is it GIF , JPG, PNG or something else ??

Comments

• StusAppsStusApps Member, PRO Posts: 1,352
    png, preferably 8 bit to keep file sizes down. You need to use png to support transparency.
  • DoManDoMan Member Posts: 102
    How come I can save in .psd Photoshop files, and GS handles those magnificently? It is pleasantly and positively defective! Wow to clever chef men!
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    No matter what format you choose, when you import it into GameSalad, it gets converted to .png

If I remember correctly, there's something you can do to make it accept other formats, but that involves altering the .xml file or something.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    DoMan said:
    How come I can save in .psd Photoshop files, and GS handles those magnificently? It is pleasantly and positively defective! Wow to clever chef men!

It just a format they have added conversion support for. Not a Glitch. Very useful so you can always just work with .psd and not have to worry about forgetting to save and loosing your layers and stuff.
  • DoManDoMan Member Posts: 102
    Yes! You have no idea how cool it is. Just quickly make your visual element, stick in a stack in the dock, drag it in. Done. I really love GameSalad for that. In "game maker" you have to go through the entire process in the program, using its own simplified Microsoft paint tools. And you cant import your own graphics. Go GS!
  • ZaHeRZaHeR Member Posts: 3
    Thanks 4 everybody helps ..

and I am here to help anyone in graphics issue ..

with more than 6 years Macromedia Flash experience ..

and good hand drawing .. I am here to help .
  • mattyr64mattyr64 Member Posts: 82
    I always keep a psd file with all the layers etc intact, and save out a png for importing into gamesalad. As for what you said DoMan...
    DoMan said:
    Yes! You have no idea how cool it is. Just quickly make your visual element, stick in a stack in the dock, drag it in. Done. I really love GameSalad for that. In "game maker" you have to go through the entire process in the program, using its own simplified Microsoft paint tools. And you cant import your own graphics. Go GS!
    ...this is not entirely true, whilst you can use game makers built in editor (which is a bit primitive i must admit), it is also possible to load in image files, you can even configure it to use your own preferred editor! ;)