should i be creating images 326dpi for iphone4?

appybankappybank Member Posts: 22
I think I may be creating my images in photoshop with the wrong ppi

In a game salad tutorial it says you should create your objects in proportion to a background size of 960 x 640 so it caters for the iphone4. Seeing as the ppi for iphone4 is 326, i have also been creating my images 326dpi. Is this correct or should I creating everything with 72dpi as that's all i keep seeing on forums?

Plus after creating several levels, just realised about the power 2. Does that mean all my ORIGINAL images should have one of the following numbers as their size width or size length? 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, or 1028

That confuses me because a background image (landscape) has to be created 960 x 640 to cater for iphone4, which defeats the object of power of 2. That's if I have understood the concept of power of two.

Comments

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    No use 72dpi but make them twice as big...for eg if your actor is 40x40 make the image 80x80.

When you drag the image into the 40x40 actor it may change it's size to 80x80 if it does change it back to 40x40

Power of 2 is to try and save texture memory for eg a 130x130 image will still be the same in memory as a 256x256 because its bigger that 128.

You can still make an image 48x56 retina and when its played on older devices it will be 24x28 just make sure when its dived by 2 that there's no .5

Retina image 43x64 is bad because it will scale down to 21.5x32...the .5 will cause blur.

Darren.
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    And yes, that power of 2 applies to the original imported image. You can size it to whatever on the stage once it's imported into GameSalad.
  • appybankappybank Member Posts: 22
    cheers guys, looks like i need to change all my images, to ensure they are 72 dpi, and also ensure none of my images when divided by 2 equal 0.5

one question - if i have an image 80 x 80, in game salad I would change the actors size to 40 x 40. Any image i put into an actor I always ensure the size of the actor is always halved. So whatever i size the actor to, is that where i should ensure either the length or width is not of a 0.5 value? to avoid blur?
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    SlickZero said:
    And yes, that power of 2 applies to the original imported image. You can size it to whatever on the stage once it's imported into GameSalad.