Spellcaster submitted to Macworld Challenge and App Store!

BeyondtheTechBeyondtheTech Member Posts: 809
edited November -1 in Announce Your Game!
Well, I finally finished it and just in the nick of time!

My first game using GameSalad and my official entry into the Macworld 2010 GameSalad Challenge is finally in.

Spellcaster is an exciting yet leisure game that pits you one-on-one with evil sorcerers in a battle to the finish! Use your finger to conjure up the spell, tap on the name to announce it, then extend your arm with device in hand to cast it, like a "real" magic wand!

This game took me just a few hours over 12 days to complete from concept to finished product. GameSalad is awesome when it comes to building games - they really made it so easy to quickly develop a working product. (I probably could have finished it a little sooner, had it not been for the memory leaks and crashes. It's a beta - oh well.) It started with a prototype that took only 4 minutes to put together.

Because of the quick response time that only the newer device's processors can give and the smoother graphic performance it provides, Spellcaster will only work on the iPhone 3GS and newer iPod touches. I'm hoping that pending a post-mortem writeup regarding development, someone can help me find ways to make it work on the older devices.

I hope it gets approved quick on the App Store. Considering our previous conversations regarding price, I have decided to sell it at $2.99. We'll see how it goes from there. Of course, I will load up a bunch of promo codes and post them here.

Screenshots available here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/beyondthetech/sets/72157623279298178/

Submitted game on GameSalad here:
http://gamesalad.com/game/play/36720

Note that since it requires the accelerometer to cast the spell, I implemented a keyboard substitution, but it will return a completely random accuracy. Tap the letter "C" to shake or cast.

Thanks to everyone here for their support and help, and looking forward to making more GameSalad games in the near future!

Comments

• rebumprebump Member Posts: 1,058
    Wow. Looks very impressive. Love the "trace the runes" implementation!!

This should do well, especially for the young ones and tweens I would think (and the Harry Potter fanatics). Be sure to keyword it up in the app store! ;-)

Be sure to keep us appraised of how well it does volume wise at that price point and with the requirement of 2nd gen only. I hope it does fantastically well.
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    interesting... i only have a 3G so I can't try it out. But neat concept.
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    I really like all the stats

I only did one battle but i will def dig in more on the phone when it hits the app store

Very polished
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    Excellent! This is just great! I love seeing full-featured, professional games made in GameSalad! A full menu system, stats, voice acting, music, sfx, etc..., etc...!!!! Very polished! I wish you great success in the app store!!!

And good luck in the MacWorld competition as well!

Joe
  • BeyondtheTechBeyondtheTech Member Posts: 809
    Thanks, that means a lot, especially coming from you. I'd like to say that the last 12 days were quite intense. With a full-time commute and job down by Wall Street, then coming straight home until 2AM every morning to piece this together, I really have to give my wife and kids a lot of credit for their patience and tolerance. At least they got to help out a little bit.

This was a moderately low-budget production, using myself as the evil sorcerer. I snapped pictures of my own hands with my iMac's iSight camera for the instructions, and had to do some color correction and Photoshopping when I took pictures of myself in a red Snuggie (never thought I'd be wearing one of those!) and a bed sheet over my head. It's nice to see it came out alright. LOL

If it wasn't for the 10MB limitation and the time constraints to get it in before the contest deadline, I'd put in full animations.
    Ok, it's been updated for web play and as a workable entry for the Macworld Challenge. I've placed an on-screen CAST button. Press it when it's at its largest for the highest accuracy.

This version will be used only for the web (won't submit this version to Apple), unless someone tells me they'd rather use it instead of the accelerometer when playing on the device (but, doesn't that take all the fun out of spellcasting?)
    Took two days to go from "Waiting for Review" to "In Review..." They must be backed up a bit, or maybe I'm just impatient. I decided to drop it to $1.99 in anticipation of the Challenge results and Macworld conference, but I plan on bringing it back to $2.99 with the first update already in progress.
    I just got the green light (green dot, actually) from iTunes Connect, so the game has gone live!

I'm not yet able to see it in iTunes, but it should show up momentarily.

Thanks to everyone here, and as promised, here are 10 codes to hand out:

AFPHXX9E4N6W
    Y79RMEA3XETM
    MNHNTYNLJ7MA
    FPRXHPY94HRM
    TN6RWYKMMMTH
    3R93KXTXP3JF
    FAY96HFM9NF7
    9M4JNX4P63WW
    AWRLPNE9F3EW
    WHE9K7NARJ46

** Please don't grab them if you DO NOT have a 3GS, a 2nd-gen iPod touch, or an iPad. I'd rather you give me your UDID and you can beta test another version I'm working on that might work on your device.

And, please remember to give me a rating with any detailed review and/or constructive criticism in the App Store after downloading it.

Thanks again!
  • rebumprebump Member Posts: 1,058
    It's working great on my iPad! ;-)
    There are still some codes available, don't know which ones were taken. Can anyone put some ratings/reviews for my game?
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    Hey,,

I took WHE9K7NARJ46 and left a review! Congrats! (i misspelled a word so it seems more legit and you didn't pay for the review!)

Joe
    I need more reviews and I don't think all the codes are used up... Can anyone help/contribute to the cause? Thanks!
  • jkornoffjkornoff Member Posts: 55
    FPRXHPY94HRM, I snagged one!
  • jkornoffjkornoff Member Posts: 55
    Reviewed! 4 star game on the iphone. Impossible to play on the web, so this is one game you can't judge on the web version.