Illustrator Practice

JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
So iv e been putting alot of time into illustrator lately trying to get better at it, and learn different techniques and such. Heres 2 of the latest things ive made. What you guys think?

Comments

• SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    That's pretty sweet. Are you using a tablet, or the mouse?
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256

A mixture of both, like for the skull i sketeched out a rough outline with the tablet, then traced half of it with the mouse and pen tool and reflected to get the perfect edge. Then on the alien some of the shadeing on his missing arm and some highlights and glows on the backdrop i used the tablet with a blur blob brush.
    That's awesome. I've been trying to draw a skull in Illustrator with a tablet here lately, and nothing has been acceptable to me yet. I didn't even think about using reflect, and I use it all the time on other things…I'm gonna give that method a whirl. I really dig that skull.
    thanks for the kind words!

Yeah reflects awesome to give you that perfectly semetrical shape. Its alot easier when you just have to worry about getting one side right and not getting the other one to match up haha Then you can grab the white mouse tool (direct selection tool) and move anchor points around to tweak your final shape.

thanks again!
  • BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274
    Looks awesome, I love the icon. The detail in the alien drawing is pretty impressive.
    thanks alot!
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Looks Great John, Now I can add you to people I'm jealous of. LOL

BTW Moved to Art & Graphics ;)
  • BackUpAndDownBackUpAndDown Member Posts: 685
    It looks pretty good. The only thing I would note is that it's usually better to stick with a single shading style. it looks like you tried to use a mixture of cell shading and gradients in both pieces.

Keep up the good work!
    thanks for the constructive critism! exactly what im looking for.
  • AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362
    Looks fantastic. Continue your practice. I can't wait to see more stuff from you.
  • johnydeejohnydee Member, PRO Posts: 196
    what tablet are you guys talking about? and how does it work?
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    uptimistik said:
    Well it's called Paintagra and it raises your drawing ability alot.

what is that? The tablet he is talking about is a wacom.
    DreamLab said:
    what is that? The tablet he is talking about is a wacom.

Pronounced like pacman talking: Wacom Wacom Wacom Wacom
    thanks Asymptoteell!

and yep my tablets a wacom haha
  • svnsvn Member Posts: 445
    Hey John, how much does Illustrator cost? And what kind of graphics is it useful for?
  • liamoliamo Member Posts: 191
    Looks awesome, I wonder if I could do that in inkscape?...
    svn said:
    Hey John, how much does Illustrator cost? And what kind of graphics is it useful for?

Im in college and bought it threw my campus bookstore with a student discount, i think it was like 600 or something like that for the cs5 master collection.

Anything cartoon looking basically is where illustrator shines, and vectors awesome so you can resize to whatever without loosing quality

@liamo thanks! i dont see why you couldnt do that with inkscape.
    johnydee187 said:
    what tablet are you guys talking about? and how does it work?

Yeah, Wacom. I use the "Bamboo Fun" model. Works just like drawing with pen and paper…kinda.
  • svnsvn Member Posts: 445
    JohnPapiomitis said:
    Im in college and bought it threw my campus bookstore with a student discount, i think it was like 600 or something like that for the cs5 master collection.

Anything cartoon looking basically is where illustrator shines, and vectors awesome so you can resize to whatever without loosing quality

Gaah! Is there any way to get just Illustrator? There's no way I can lay down that much bread for stuff 83% of which I won't use!
    liamo said:
    Looks awesome, I wonder if I could do that in inkscape?...

You sure could. Most of the differences between Inkscape and Illustrator (I said most. I know Illustrator has 3d, and probably some other features) just are in the interface and the way things are done (Illustrator tends to be quicker and more convenient) but just about everything you could do in Illustrator, you could do in Inkscape.

I personally love inkscape. I've been using it right now to plan out a video I want to make (once I buy and learn how to use Flash) to go along with the song War on Drugs by the Barenaked Ladies. But that's a bit irrelevant. My point is, with Inkscape, you can make some great stuff. If you don't believe me, just look at the end results of some of the tutorials here: http://inkscapetutorials.wordpress.com/

Asymptoteell

*edit* also, regarding the tablets, I have an Intuos4 small, and it works great. I've been using it as much as my mouse lately.
    What i did so far tonight

And I thought I was unable to sleep tonight before I saw your spooky new picture...
    Asymptoteell said:
    And I thought I was unable to sleep tonight before I saw your spooky new picture...

heheehhe ;)
  • johnydeejohnydee Member, PRO Posts: 196
    notice the propellerheads icon haha....i love reason.you should get pro tools.Alot more powerful and more cool things to do with audio production.
    John, I envy your relatively empty desktop. Mine has 418 items and counting. Today, I Fung- Schwei-ed them to reveal my background.

asymptoteell
    @johnnydee haha yeah i have pro tools too it awesome, im a thoraholic though ;)

@ asymptotell This is where i disapoint you. I have dual monitors and the other ones filled to the brim LOL
    Looks like a few of us are making a Halloween game :)
    SlickZero said:
    Looks like a few of us are making a Halloween game :)

hhaahah hasnt even crossed my mind actually