Art Stuff..

DimensionGamesDimensionGames PRO Posts: 993
Working on a game and have finished it now but want to change the graphics, I have loads of rectangles all one type of actor and they are just a colour not an image. I want to change them to an image, should I make a large image so that it fits all the actors as such?

Cheers.

Comments

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

Check the size of your actors - let's say they're 32x32.

If you want Retina graphics, make your graphics 64x64. Otherwise just 32x32.

Does that help?

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    It sounds to me like you have a bunch of actors that use the same image but range in sizes. I say use art that fits each memory size for each size actor. Maybe do a change image rule based one a width and height No need for a 512x512 image if you have a small version of the actor. Although maybe since it would only technically be loading one image it would be best to use one image of the largest size need for all of the smaller ones.

I guess a better description would benefit things
  • DimensionGamesDimensionGames PRO Posts: 993
    I realised the second I posted I hadn't been clear! :/

Tenrdrmer is along the right tracks, the reason I ask is that I could end up having to produce a lot of images for all the individual actors.

Cheers.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    I would actually try making your one image to fit the largest version of the actor and then do a test with just that image loaded on all of them. And then just resize that image and try placing the different image on the different sizes. I actually think you will see better performance with one large image since the large image will be loaded in both cases and I dont think the extra memory will be used if you keep reusing that image in the scene since its already loaded into the scene