Confused about Retina/Non-retina graphics

SandbirdSandbird Member Posts: 69
I am starting a new project and want to get everything right from the start...so i have this small confusion about graphics.

I want to use some tile maps to make a level but i have this question.
This is a 960x640 image : [img]http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/1517/960x.png[/img]
As you can see its empty on the right side.
No this is the same image but cropped at 480x320 and then resized to 960x640
[img]http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/1376/960zoomed.png[/img]

This is how i want the image to look like in GS. Not the first one. This will look the same on a 3gs as well as iphone 4 ?
I mean i resized the image to get the effect that i want (at least the visual effect inside GS).

What should i do ? Leave the 1st image ? or the 2nd ?

Comments

• SandbirdSandbird Member Posts: 69
    Sandbird said:
    I am starting a new project and want to get everything right from the start...so i have this small confusion about graphics.

I want to use some tile maps to make a level but i have this question.
    This is a 960x640 image :
    As you can see its empty on the right side.
    Now this is the same image but cropped at 480x320 and then resized to 960x640

This is how i want the image to look like in GS. Not the first one. This will look the same on a 3gs as well as iphone 4 ?
    I mean i resized the image to get the effect that i want (at least the visual effect inside GS).

What should i do ? Leave the 1st image ? or the 2nd ?

Sorry for the double post...i pressed Quote instead of Edit on the 1st post.
  • hich4mhich4m Member, PRO Posts: 142
    i'm also in this situation , and need help :)
  • 3d103d10 Member Posts: 471
    Well i tried your second image for me it looks that it will look same on both the device.
    The thing is that when i import the 1st image it shows like that on iphone4. It doesnt "zoom" to the 480x320 version of it. If it did it would look like the 2nd image when i preview it on the iphone.

The 2nd image though is not a "retina friendly" image. The image was cut down like i said and resized to 960. So its not like its double sized for retina display.
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    You need to make the image look like the second one, and be at 960x640. And not by cropping the first one and upscaling it.
    hmm if it has to look like the 2nd one with 960x640, then there is no way i can use 32x32 pixel sprites, since they are gonna look tiny on the 960 screen, or even if i enlarge them they will look like crap.

In other words, we cant use sprites and stuff that are free on the web and still want to have resolution independence. Am i right ?
    If i want to use those, then i have to make the game on a 480x320 screen in order for the sprites to look nice.

Forgive my ignorance but i want to get this right, so i dont have to redesign everything later on.