Creating Artwork - How do you do it?

Macca_McGillMacca_McGill Member, PRO Posts: 108
Hi guys,

Basically im wondering how you guys create your artwork? I'm not the best with photoshop so im wondering if people could give any hints and tips on how they create perfectly smooth shapes and how they set what size they want them to be? (For example, how would you create a 60x60 pixel circle) I only ask because i kinda need some help with getting some better looking graphics.

Thanks in advance.

JB Games

Comments

• ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207
    you sketch...and then make it happen.

famous painters sketch, famous photographer sketch, famous game designers sketch... and between that and making it happen... it's just like that "..." something happens... be it you learn to become the best with photoshop or you pay someone who's the best... there's no mystery to it. so you are asking the wrong question =) asking the right question is important... try starting to post what you made and ask questions like how do i make it better...

being good with photoshop doesn't mean u are good with making artwork either. so start with a goal.. and work your way backwards.
  • GraphicWarehouseGraphicWarehouse Member Posts: 927
    there is a circle tool in photoshop that you can use
  • 3d103d10 Member Posts: 471
    If not than for a perfect circle when you click the circle tool there is an option above style
    Just choose fixed ratio in that and there will be always a round circle.
  • icanmakeicanmake Member Posts: 466
    illustrator is the best. or you can use my epic skills for free. anyone is free to shoot me an email and ill do my best to create nice graphics for them. icanmake.j(@)gmail.com
  • AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362
    Or you could use Gimp (photoshop alternative) or Inkscape (Adobe Illustrator alternative) for free if you can't afford photoshop or Illustrator.

http://www.gimp.org/

http://inkscape.org/

I personally use inkscape, and it works great. I've used gimp as well, and it seems to be as full featured as photoshop elements (what I normally use for photoshop type work)

I'd suggest you try those out and see what works best for you.

Asymptoteell
  • imperiousdevimperiousdev Member Posts: 35
    I also have the same issue as you, Im from a coding background using xCode to make iPhone applications, so moving across to GameSalad and trying to expand my knowledge with Game making is difficult. I am by no means a talented artist or designer so I do find it difficult.

I have found though, that using Illustrator over PhotoShop can be more beneficial as Illustrator creates vector graphics and isn't bit map based. So effectively, if you create a piece of art work in illustrator (a character, a full backdrop etc) you can resize it to anything you like without compromising quality.

Also, I have also picked up the rule of sizing graphcs correctly for use within GameSalad. If you are creating for iOS and plan to produce for retina (which you should be) then you need to create your graphics at double the required size then tick the 'resolution independence' option on the main project screen.