HOW DO YOU GET FEATURED

iWiniWin Member Posts: 334
Does anyone know how to get your app featured..I was really happy for F is Falling because featured so i was wondering how...THANKS

Comments

• urhungryurhungry Member Posts: 112
    i think it just has to be really popular or good
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Just down to luck I think - and having a good app.

Personally I reckon Mulcahy has a man on the inside ;)

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    nope, no man on the inside :) wish I did, I'd get one of those big splash screens on the front page!

Someone must just like my games, maybe it's the custom artwork.
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    I had a game about red blood cells that was featured as a hot new game. Very few sales before it was featured. Not a very good game. Yet still featured. Go figure! Makes me think that there may be a rhyme and reason in some cases (like with mulcahy) but not in others (blood kart racing).
  • iWiniWin Member Posts: 334
    When you do get featured...how big of a change are your sales from before an after being featured
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    iWin I think it depends, just because you get featured doesn't guarantee stardom in the app store, it depends on what the market it as the moment, and what people are looking for

I personally think having an awesome icon is key, if you get featured, yours must stand out from all the other featured apps :)

The icon is like the gate keeper, and it really determines if someone will even click on it and take a look, then having good screenshots, a good description, and a great game helps too!
    depends on where you are, but you could see from 3-5 a day to 30-40 a day for about a week, sometimes less, sometimes more.
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    I think butterbean is right about a catchy icon. Granted my game is free but it's dong 700 plus every day and breaking 1k on the weekend. It's gotta be the icon. And now that it's right up there and seen all the time the momentum keeps going.
  • JamesBoucherJamesBoucher Member Posts: 433
    I've had one app featured (not a GS game). I would say the top two things is Icon and having something original (unique).

The market has changed. When I first got in there was about 40,000 apps and my sales on a none featured paid app was about 40 a day for the first week. Now there's 140,000 apps and sales for paid apps are about 20 a day for the first week.
    Yeah as the market gets larger and fewer of a chance you have to make your app noticable..
    Does anyone think my game Mighty MIyo would have a chance at being featured..

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mighty-miyo/id350160648?mt=8
    iWin,

it's tough to say, it's 100% up to apple, and there is no rhyme or reason how they do it. That being said, I think your icon looks really good, but the graphics in your game could use some spicing up.

Try creating a few different types of cheese graphics. Same thing for the mouse traps, make sure everything that can be animated is. When Miyo moves, does her tail move? It should. Make her wiskers move as well.

When she hits a mouse trap, make it snap shut. Once you have the gameplay down, which it seems you do, anything you can do to make it stand out really helps.
    Wow...those are amazing ideas...Thanks...I'll defenitaly put those ideas into consideration...thanks again mulcahy
    Im working on making my game longer...for those of you who have played Mighty Miyo know its kind of short...Adding more levels and modes would make the game much better..

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mighty-miyo/id350160648?mt=8
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    I am a music producer.

I assume getting featured on the app store is the same as getting features on I-Tunes.
    I.E. It's totally up to Apple's discretion.

With the music side of things, they decided not to allow paid for advertising, as that would just get bought up by the big labels and the smaller people wouldn't get a look in.

So it's pretty much up to luck when you release an album/single/podcast if it gets a featured spot.

There are things you can do to help though... having good looking artwork is a must, having a decent sized fan-base also helps your cause.

With the music, you can also get your distributor to go to meetings and kiss some apple arse (not so much something you can do if you are an independent app dev tho)
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    I'm going to guess it's just random-ish, in that they try to feature everyone a little bit. That's the idea of a "feature" you get featured, you get your moment in the spotlight, hopefully you do well then you go onto "What's Hot"

Think of it like a rotating wheel of "opportunity" everyone gets a go... eventually... if your game is even halfway decent.

just my thoughts.. i don't really know the answer.
    yeah all those comments make sense...THANKS