What is everyone's thoughts on Sound Boards like iMario?

butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
Would you make one like iMario? Do you think it's okay to do?

iMario has made a ton of money and hasn't been pulled, and has a disclaimer that says: All images and logos are property of their respective owners

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    That's what my thought was, as long as you have a disclaimer stating those images are copyright protected, if they pull it so be it

Games like "Mario Jump" I feel are absolute copyright infringements and are a huge no,no as they are deliberately trying to make a "mario game"

But Gaming sounds and what not seem similar to gaming guides, but providing sounds
    Yea those are the ones we were referring to
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    There is infringement on the soundboards as well.

All kinds of intellectual property in there.

I dont see how that is legal.

I guess the law isnt black and white. It only goes as far as someone wants to pursue.
    They may have actually received a cease order and arent doing anything till they go to court.

Making that much cash why not push it as far as you can.

in the end they can squeeze out a few more months and pay some legal fees. if that is just a drop in the bucket compared to what you make why not i guess
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    To quote someone wise:

"The dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will."

;)

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

I wouldn't personally do it b/c it doesn't feel right, but it seems that Nintendo hasn't pursued all cases like iMario, so I guess to each his own, but there are too many grey areas in pursuing that.

Very heavy quote Quantum! :)
  • EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
    It makes me wish I had the idea, but I'd never go through with it.

Reminds me of the guys who would sell Wii boxes on ebay and people would think they're buying the console at a glance.
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    I wouldn't do it either but at leat people know what they are getting. It's shaft towards big n but at least not to the consumer. Now fart soundboards on the other hand..... Nothng better than leavng my iPhone out at work with the ifart fart alarm on and hiding behind the corner to watch the action unfold
    lol Eastbound, can't believe some of the stuff peeps sell on ebay

Yea I love Nintendo, one of my fave Franchises, surprised some of the sound boards that haven't been pulled! I couldn't do it, love the big N

ifart is brilliant, who would have thought how successful it would be! I remember before doing gamesalad, that was one of the first apps I downloaded :)
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Does'nt really bother me....hmm....well no actually it does...

There was an Alan Partridge sound board that made it into the top 25 on the UK itunes.

Funny though I'm sure it is, it in no way looked official and its just annoying that someone was making a mini fortune off the back of someone elses efforts.

Also someone at my work bought a 'Compare the Meer Cat' sound board, (its a price comparison website for 'compare the market' in the Uk.), this time again not official and the creator had recorded his own impressions of the character. So probably not breaking any laws but it was a bit rubbish....and disappointing for my work mate who'd just spent the money...
  • SDMGSDMG Member Posts: 280
    i don't get it... do they use the original mario-sprites for their app??
    Yes, they do, total infringement, they put pictures of the sprites in the app and then coordinate the sounds with those images, i think it began with imario and now there are a ton of different sound boards in the app store
  • SDMGSDMG Member Posts: 280
    lol i would say there is no grey ... it s 100% illegal ... haha...

but obviously noone cares... saying: All images and logos are property of their respective owners ... means not " hey know i am allowed to use all this stuff"

"all music of this game is property of madonna" eeh??

i would be interested in something different... lets assume you are that clever and take the images and sounds from someone else ... and after some months apple pulls your app from the store... tshirt has said he don't care ... when it gets pulled ... it gets pulled...

but is that all ? or will the respective owner bring an action against you?
    will there be a claim for damages??

normally you have to pay for the right to use images or sounds... and when you want to have the right to use an image like this 3D-version of Mario to promote your commercial product worldwide... this right could easily cost tenthousands of dollars or more...

hmm btw its against the terms of use of GS ;))

cheers

SDMG
    I would think a big company like Nintendo would go after them

Sony is especially protective of their property ie: make you download games to the hard-drive to play them on the ps3, and you can only have 5 PSN accounts in different systems, and they're a PIA to remove if you sold your system and forgot to deactivate your account.

I would think they would take legal action!