Macworld Challenge judging delayed until this evening

CobraCobra Member Posts: 160
edited November -1 in News from the Dev Team
A couple of our Macworld 2010 GameSalad Challenge judges were unable to evaluate all the games by Friday, so we gave them an extension until this evening. We will be contacting the Finalists later tonight.

Finalists will be publicly announced on Monday evening as planned, and the voting will open at that time.

Comments

• CrazybreadmanCrazybreadman Member Posts: 674
    Yeah I haven't been able to squash all the bugs in my game yet either. So are you having them play on the 7.0 version or are they playing our buggy 8.0 versions? Also should we try to upload a mostly fixed version if we can pull it off today?
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    That's not fair! our games are totally broken by v081 patch! We are working hard to fix them but you should really have all the judges be using 070 viewer until all the issues can be worked out. :(
    And then that begs the question... suppose judges ARE using 070 viewer and then we patch our game to 081 compatible and then it for some reason doesn't work in the 070 viewer!? :(

Really bad move on your part GameSalad to release an update ON THE DAY OF THE CONTEST RESULTS that breaks everything! :( Seriously! How many of us have to give up our weekend to patch our games because you couldn't wait until after the contest winner announcements to release 081?
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    mine is pretty messed up too...

I'm totally cool if you just upgrade me to pro for a few months! :)
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    I like TinyMonsters idea! I have been too scared to upgrade (if that's what it is) or even try the games I entered in the contest.

However, I do appreciate the effort by GS to keep making improvements to the software and realize that there will always be speedbumps along the way. Such is life!
    The only fair thing you can do at this point is to give us all time to fix the bugs caused by the update thrown at us on 0 hour.

That, or require all the judges to evaluate each game in the 070 viewer AND the 081 viewer because you never know which version a contestant has patched already.

I personally have my 070 version online as I'm still working out issues with 081. But as soon as I have the 081 issues fixed I will be posting it. Now if a judge looks at my 070 game in a 081 viewer it will not function at all. However, if I post a 081 update and they look at it in a 070 viewer i don't know how it will behave (not well I'm guessing)

WE HAVE NO TIME TO TEST!! :(

What do we do to ensure that we get a fair evaluation given the situation that 08x is totally jacking everything up for a lot of people?

Some direction please Cobra or CodeMonkey....

Do we patch our versions to 081 compatible or do we leave 070 versions online as-is for the judges?

And if we do leave them as 070 versions when is it safe to publish 081 fixes for the REST OF THE WORLD to see?

Because right now, all my friends can't see my game because the 08x viewer breaks everything and that's what they download when they first visit your site.
    My wife has been out of town since tuesday which means I'm flying solo with my 2 year old and 4 year old (with no grandparents or other relatives in the area to help out) so I will have absolutely no time to try and learn the new version or even attempt to upgrade. I have no choice but leave everything as it was when I submitted it. Hope that doesn't put me out of the running. The upside is that if I don't win I can just tell myself that it was 0.8.1's fault!
    Im with scitunes.... if i lose it was ....um.... .8's faualt

and i got beat 4yo and a 6 WEEK old haha
  • CobraCobra Member Posts: 160
    All the judges have evaluated the entries using version 0.7.0 of the GameSalad web plug-in, the same version you were able to test your games on. (Three judges sent us their picks before the 0.8.0 update; the other two were provided with the 0.7.0 plug-in.)

If someone very quickly updated their contest game for 0.8.1 and made it incompatible with the 0.7.0 plug-in, then of course the judges could play it using the 0.8.1 plug-in instead just like everyone else. I'm not aware of any case where this has actually happened though.

Bottom line: These bugs have NOT affected anyone's chances in the Macworld Challenge.

As for the general public's ability to play all web games, we'll have more information on this coming soon.
    Come on, Cobra! Throw me a bone! My ego's fragile, OK?

@TM. I'll take 6 weeks over the monster my 2 year old has become anyday!
    Haha.
  • HugeGraphicsHugeGraphics Member Posts: 81
    We just posted an 0.8.1-compatible web version. Our explosion sounds were not working until the patch. Hoping judges will take a 2nd look around now.
    Ok whew, thanks for getting back to us on that Cobra :)

I know this is frustrating for everyone. We really do appreciate the 08x upgrade but the timing of it is kind of nerve wracking for everyone who is eagerly anticipating the judges decision.

Please, in the future... don't release any new updates on the day of the expected judges decisions.

Like for example, on the day of the MacWorld expo... that would be a bad day to release an update, or the day before.

UNLESS You can be 110% positive it will not break existing games.

But bottom line, we all really do appreciate the hard work the devs are putting into making such a great tool.

Thanks! :)
  • eliehangeliehang Member, PRO Posts: 105
    likewise... hopefully tomorrow :)
  • micahmicah Member Posts: 85
    No email for me yet either. But I haven't ruled out that they just haven't sent them yet. I still have hope.
    No email for us either. Congrats to the finalists.
    no email here
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
    Got it!

"Dear maralfer,

due to recent events (0.8 release and relative bugs) we decided to take a break and go in vacation with the prizes money.

All games released so far (even those on the App Store) will autodestruct in 30 minutes.

Have a nice day!"

:-)
    Sorry it's been a hard work's day and I have 8 more hours until the end of it.
  • EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
    No email here, either :(
    My head's about to explode!
    They're really keeping us on tenterhooks (is that the correct expression?)
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    I didn't get one either! Time to rule out who hasn't posted here yet... :)
    Well, since tshirtbooth and eastbound are sure finalist we can keep a small ray of hope :-)
    I'm with you Maralfer, this isn't adding up....

This is all of us who have reported back with no email:

A Plinky Game! - maralfer
    Birds Attack! - butterbean
    BORK's Adventures - eliehang
    Kill The King - eastbound
    Orbots Attack - HugeGraphics
    Drawn Blood - butterbean
    i500 - Intergalactic 500 - scitunes
    Labyrinth Deluxe - tshirtbooth
    Polexia - orbz
    Aeropack - micah
    Say No to Drugs - scitunes
    Tiny Monster - tinymonster
    Traffic Ninja - crazybreadman
    XMB Xtreme Mountain Bike - scitunes

And this is who's left:

Detonate! Lite - jkornoff
    Fireflight - Valan
    Lil' Blocks - Toddler Toy - weelittlegamer
    Spellcaster - beyondthetech
    Absorb - jcford
    Block Battle - burzmali
    Dang, Not Another Paper Game - ktfright
    Mr. Boom - gamevicci
    Stairs - strobanik
    Bomb Hero - leoleoleo
    Darkness - jonathantynan.com
    F is for Falling - mulcahy
    Jen... - harrio
    Lightspeed Racer - ktfright
    Musa Monsoon - ktfright
    Stunt Fly - mikequinn
    Stunt Squirrels - firemaplegames
    The Cat Rides the Astrobus - shaihalud
    Touch Light - venon_it
    Trouball - kahanejosh
    Walk the Line - zilla
    Wrong Way Rage - jkornoff
  • EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
    Why could a Gendai official not just tell everyone once the finalists were notified, then they can officially release it Monday? Or why not just tell us the 5 finalists?

The system would work okay if there weren't delayed results and such, but now we're just left wondering if the judges are even finished.
    Well they had an harsh weekend with the 0.8 release, so we can't blame them for delays.

But I agree that it would be nice to know if the deadline was true or if there were some other problems with the judges.
    I'm risking to get fired because every 5 minutes I check on my iPhone if there are mails :-)