Need App Icon Feedback!

BackUpAndDownBackUpAndDown Member Posts: 685

Comments

• icanmakeicanmake Member Posts: 466
    i love it! what kind of game is this for? i hope one with robots =P
  • olster1olster1 Member Posts: 396
    I like it but it needs something to stand out. It doesn't scream "Touch me and read my description!"
  • BackUpAndDownBackUpAndDown Member Posts: 685
    icanmake said:
    i love it! what kind of game is this for? i hope one with robots =P

Thanks, it has robots, ufo's and godzilla. :P
    olster1 said:
    I like it but it needs something to stand out. It doesn't scream "Touch me and read my description!"

I agree but I can't really think of any way of doing that. I'm open to suggestions. :)
    To view full size: http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/245/9/e/itunesappchart_by_meditatingwolf-d48lkvc.png

Does anything look out of place on these charts? :P

Feedback is appreciated.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,394
    BackUpAndDown said:

Does anything look out of place on these charts? :P

Only that god awful icon sat at number 6 ;)

In all seriousness though, i love it and adding colour would ruin the icon in my opinion.
    beefy_clyro said:
    Only that god awful icon sat at number 6 ;)

In all seriousness though, i love it and adding colour would ruin the icon in my opinion.

Gee, thanks... I think. lol

If adding colour would make it worse what would make it better?
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,394
    BackUpAndDown said:
    Gee, thanks... I think. lol

If adding colour would make it worse what would make it better?

I like it how it is, i dunno if i would change anything! Whats the in-game colouring like?
    beefy_clyro said:
    I like it how it is, i dunno if i would change anything! Whats the in-game colouring like?

The in-game art style is similar but only with a bunch of additional black and white silhouette style actors... Kinda like "Contre Jour" but only with a orange tone and retro comic book feel.

It's super hard to explain... with any luck I'll have a gameplay trailer to show with in the next week. lol
  • old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    Dark background, and higher contrast with a vertical lift on the robot's arm on the left side of the image, push the robot brighter, get some separation with the foreground buildings as well. All minor tweaks but you need to get it reading when small.
    old_kipper said:
    Dark background, and higher contrast with a vertical lift on the robot's arm on the left side of the image, push the robot brighter, get some separation with the foreground buildings as well. All minor tweaks but you need to get it reading when small.

Do you think having him lighter on a dark background would be better? I was kinda going for the "silhouette" look by having him darker then the background.

I really appreciate your detailed backdown of all the things that could be improved. Thats exactly what I needed. :D
  • old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    just sent a rough tweek to your gmail.

cheers kipper
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,881
    Nice but i would put a little more contrast in it. So make the robots lines darker.

My 2¢
  • App SurgeApp Surge Member Posts: 651
    The corners are going to get cut off when Apple rounds the edges. That's why you shouldn't use a border
    old_kipper said:
    just sent a rough tweek to your gmail.

cheers kipper

Thanks, that looks pretty awesome. I'm just gonna need to see if it will match the rest of the in-game graphics.
    LudwigHeijden said:
    Nice but i would put a little more contrast in it. So make the robots lines darker.

My 2¢

Good idea. I made a version of it with the outline of the robot and city darker and I like how it turned out. :D
    redsky said:
    The corners are going to get cut off when Apple rounds the edges. That's why you shouldn't use a border

Yeah I realized that pretty quickly having uploading the first set of images. Thats why I rounded off the border and made this image to see how it would look on itunes.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/245/9/e/itunesappchart_by_meditatingwolf-d48lkvc.png

Thanks for pointing that out though, I always overlook the little details. :S
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    Dude, Is so simple, I LOVE it!

I would definitely click it.
  • creativeappscreativeapps Member Posts: 1,770
    sent you pm message. Please check
  • WyrdGuitaristWyrdGuitarist Member, PRO Posts: 91
    I think it's great.
    Thank you everyone who voted and posted suggestions. I've come up with a few more versions of the icon and once I can post some gameplay videos I'll make one last poll to finalize the design.
  • jb15jb15 Member Posts: 602
    Leave it as is. Simplicity is what's needed on the app store, IMO. Like your tadpole game icon--it's so simple, you kind of just want to click it. That's just me.
  • SpriteAttackSpriteAttack Member Posts: 524
    It's a good start but just too monochrome... I second the call for more contrast... Simplicity is fine but it's lacking the 'look-at-me' factor....
  • sdsmith64sdsmith64 Member Posts: 221
    every time I look at it I think of "waffles" ...or robot vs. waffles.