Is Acorn just as good as Illustrator?

svnsvn Member Posts: 445
I can't afford adobe Illustrator($600?!), so I got the free trial of Acorn. Is Acorn as good as Adobe Illustrator? Or almost as good?

Comments

• AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362
    I personally would be a bit weary of the fact that it isn't only for vector drawing (if vector is what you want) because it might be less fully featured. I'd suggest getting the free trial of Illustrator (30 days) and compare it to Acorn and see for yourself.

Asymptoteell
  • MPCavMPCav Member, BASIC Posts: 81
    Xara is very good, and cheaper than illustrator.

It has some excellent website-building features too. Would recommend the pro version if you can afford it.
  • pnolandpnoland Member Posts: 36
    I was extremely close to clicking checkout on Adobe.com to purchase Illustrator when I decided to google alternative vector applications for osx...glad I did since I saved myself 600 bucks haha. I went with the program LineForm which has some nice features and is pretty inexpensive compared to Illustrator or Corel Draw.

Xara is a -great- program but the one draw back is that it is not supported on osx unless you dual boot with boot camp. I have version 6 on my win7 partition but I don't like having to reboot to work with it...I may see how it run with parallels though.

I would say try Acorn and if you don't like it move on. Xara and LineForm are very affordable and there is also Inkscape (also free) though I find it to be crap on my machine. I imagine for what people need to do for their game art they don't need the full capabilities of Illustrator. Other programs can produce just as nice artwork depending on the user of course.
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    svn said:
    I can't afford adobe Illustrator($600?!), so I got the free trial of Acorn. Is Acorn as good as Adobe Illustrator? Or almost as good?

How old are you? If you are a student in highschool/middleschool/elementary/ or college you can get it for WAY cheaper
  • svnsvn Member Posts: 445
    @ DreamLab: Well, I'm an eighth grader, but I hired icanmake to do graphics for me. So once I'm finished with my current game I'll try DIYing for now.
  • LyboTechLyboTech Member Posts: 135
    If you purchase Illustrator you get very much for the money, it's really reliable and you can trust it . Atleast I found it good compared to any other vector art software :)
  • azimpactazimpact Member Posts: 112
    Since you're and 8th grader, you could get illustrator at the student discount rate and save 400 bucks:

http://www.academicsuperstore.com/products/Adobe/Illustrator/1391193
  • svnsvn Member Posts: 445
    Freeow! That price still hits harder than Sylvester Stallone! I think I'll look for cheaper alternatives. I'm sure there are plenty of good vector art programs for less than $100.