Resolution Independence question...

pokafacepokaface Member Posts: 15
Hi all. I know I have seen this topic come up frequently, but I just needed some clarification on something..

So I know I am supposed to make my BACKGROUND images 640x960 to take advantage of iPhone 4..

However, when I am making images for my menus.. words like "options" "resume game" "main menu" etc etc.. should those be double in size as well? and to clarify, double of what exactly? like what am I basing it on...

For instance... I have a photo right now that says "options" ; I am trying to save in PNG format.. the size of the image is 220 wide x 48 height... do I want this photo to actually be 440 x 96 ?? or if I leave it 220x48 will it be fine?

Comments

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,394
    OK, real simple way of looking at it;

Design the layout to be of standard def. i.e 320 x 480

Then once you've designed it how you want it, the sizes need to be double.

So backgrounds become 640 x 960
    If you designed a 100 x 50 button in the creator, your size needs to be 200 x 100.

If you have RI ticked, when you import your graphics, GS will automatically resize the actors to half the size :)

Make sure all numbers are even and when you divide in 2, they are still even.
  • pokafacepokaface Member Posts: 15
    Thank you..

I seem to be working backwards then.. i.e. I start creating icons, etc. in my photo editing software, then import them into game salad to see how they fit and then re-size them or re-create them if necessary.. this really isn't an efficient way of doing things is it? Should I be inside game salad FIRST, creating actors, etc. etc. and THEN creating the images?

*edit* I guess in doing that, I have been designing for the iPhone 4 all along, because I'm using the whole gs screen when comparing my images, instead of just the inside lining.. know what i mean?
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,394
    Ha, yeh, icon is usually the last thing i do. There are some good apps out there for icons that let you export in a flash to see what they look like scaled down for device etc. 1 of our community members has a great little tool, check it out;

http://www.deepblueapps.com/Deep_Blue_Ideas_Ltd./DBAIconCreator.html

As for designing, I tend to get the rough sizes i want in the GS creator and then go and get the art in Retina at double size, then just import all the art and off i go.
  • pokafacepokaface Member Posts: 15
    Thanks! Looks useful!