Am I being scammed? If so, how?

OctappusOctappus Member Posts: 68
A few days ago I was emailed by a company who would like an app developed. It was unusual because they used my old company's email address, which hasn't been used for a long time, and referred to my old Website, which really shouldn't have attracted anyone to me as a potential freelance developer.

Yesterday, another company emailed me - again to the old address - asking for an app to be developed (they actually want me to put a development team together). It looks like this company's project leader has asked specifically for my old company, which has no history of app development at all.

So, now I think this is some hoax or scam, but I don't know how it works.

Has anyone received any emails like this or has anyone knowledge/experience of how I'm going to be conned?

Thanks,

Simon.
www.octappus.com

(formerly www.apps.yourpersonaltraining.co.uk - check out the Website and let me know if, based on this, you would hire me for a $10k project!)

Comments

• SlightlyGrimSlightlyGrim Member Posts: 51
    I would personally look up the company itself that send you the email. If you can't find it, then it more than likely a fake.

You could also email the company back and see what kind of application they want and what are all the details of the company. Get a phone number and someone you can ring, maybe try to arrange a visit to the company. They could have happened to come across your old website.

If they are a scam then some little detail won't feel right, either they will try to get your details. So I wouldn't send any information about yourself over tot hem or they will want money.

anyway hope it goes ok and the company is real
  • OctappusOctappus Member Posts: 68
    I've looked up both Websites - one looks like a legitimate company and the other is just a temporary page (the second company says it is a new venture).

I have requested technical details for the project from both and neither have yet responded.

The first company offered a high but not unrealistic payment without asking for a price; the second company has just asked for a quote.

I wasn't suspicious until the second company contacted me, through my old email address. Then, before I was able to reply, they emailed my new company address starting, "Dear Octappus Simon" - exactly what the first company called me, but it's not something I have ever called myself.
    SlightlyGrim said:
    If they are a scam then some little detail won't feel right, either they will try to get your details. So I wouldn't send any information about yourself over tot hem or they will want money.

Way ahead of you on this, and very much agreed! There is something that's just not right and I wondered if anyone else had had a similar experience.
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    I'd say thinking they could talk to an Octopus was a bit of a giveaway. :)

"Dear Octappus Simon" seems like it may be automated or certainly from someone with a poor understanding of any language.
  • HolyHippoHolyHippo Member Posts: 12
    Sounds a little suspicious to me. If you do move forward be sure to ask for at least half up front and don't start till the check clears.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    I get these all the time and ignore them :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

quantumsheep said:
    I get these all the time and ignore them :D

Sounds like the best plan QS.

Do you have any idea what they are trying to achieve (i.e. how they are going to try and con me out of money)?
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Octappus said:
    Sounds like the best plan QS.

Do you have any idea what they are trying to achieve (i.e. how they are going to try and con me out of money)?

I think it's more that there's an agency set up somewhere that is telling its customers 'We can find you developers cheap!'.

They then send an email out to a big list of developers (like the one you've received) when they have a job.

I've never replied as it's not something I'm interested in, and through GS, I just can't do some of the stuff asked for.

So I wouldn't know.

But cold calling loads of devs about this type of thing never bodes well in my opinion.

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

Hmmm. Makes sense QS.

I'm following both up - with caution - and will let everyone know what happens.