How would you use the circular and rectangular collision areas?

butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
What situations would you use the circular versus rectangular collision areas?

For example, could you have an actor collide with a boulder, and roll that boulder once that actor collides with it? (being circular collision?)

Also, with the preserve screen option, say if a player loses all health and you want to return to the initial scene, if you don't check the preserve screen option, that means the game will be reset once the player hits start at the initial scene correct?

Comments

• ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    yeah, the scene will reset,

and that example of circular collision is a correct way too. it just means that it will rool instead of be a square.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Thanks KT :)

But there's still no pixel collision, or does it matter if you crop a boulder as close as possible to it's shape, even though cropping it would still make the image "rectangular", then how can you make it roll? Or is there pixel collision now?
  • ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    well, i didn't get that either, because i tested it (circular collision) on my car, and it sort of acted like a circle, like it had no boxed edges. but i made another random actor to make a sort of test on the collision, and although it acted like a circle, it looked like a square.

i guess you need an actual image of a circle.
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    So the way the circle collision works is if you have a perfectly square actor like 36wx36h, the diameter of the circle is 36. i.e. the circle is the maximum size it can be and still be inside the parameters of the actor.

So if you had a 100x30 dimension actor, the diameter of the circle for circular collision will be 30, centered in the middle of the actor.

The image won't be changed and it will still look like a box minus any transparent areas, but the collision won't be as the actor if circular collisions is set.

See the new cannon template.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Wow, the new cannon template is cool! :) The graphics are nice in it too, are you guys sharing those graphics or are those strictly for the template?