Apps Free/Lite versions - Restrictions?

JCFordJCFord Member Posts: 785
If I have a full App ready and I want to also make a cut down version that will be a free/lite version available for people to test and try before they buy. I have heard that there are rules as to what Apple will allow you to say/include in a Free/Lite version, but I can't seem to find reference to this anywhere.

Comments

• scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    you can't have any features that are shown but "locked." I have a lite version that has a loading screen at the beginning of every level that says "full version coming soon" and they have allowed that.
  • EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
    You can't include the price of your full version, because the app store is international and the info would mean nothing to a lot of people.

Your screenshots must contain gameplay only from the lite version.
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    An email from apple.......

Hello,

Tiny Monster Lite 1.0 cannot be posted because it is a feature-limited version. Free or "Lite" versions are acceptable, however the application must be a fully functional app and cannot reference features that are not implemented or up-sell to the full version.

Please refer to the attached screenshot for additional information.

Please upload a new binary and correct metadata using iTunes Connect <http://itunesconnect.apple.com/>.

Regards,

iPhone Developer Program
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    I think it is so crazy that you cannot mention the full version or hint at features only available in the full version yet you can make people pay for more content using in app purchases. I don't get it!
  • JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    Download 2012 zombies vs aliens. It literally stops 3 lvls in and makes u buy the full. It has ads all in the game about buying the full version. Download that free version and tell me how that got by.
  • EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
    No, you can reference the full game, every lite version does. Just resubmit and a different reviewer will probably let it through.
  • BeyondtheTechBeyondtheTech Member Posts: 809
    I suppose it would be kinda obvious to use the word "Lite" in your app's title and on the splash screen. I don't think you need to make any reference to the full version at that point - most users, if they want it, they'll go search for the same name minus the "Lite."
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    I dont assume people can figure anything out on their own.

How many people post reviews on mario sounds like - "Ripoff I was expecting a mario game but this is just the sounds....SCAM DONT BUY"

I know most people dont read everything but the title is actually imario - mario sounds (or something like that"