Do you need drawing skills to make art?

jeffers242jeffers242 Member Posts: 7
Hi i was just wondering if you needed to be a good drawer to use all the programs to create your art? Thanks

Comments

• entersimonentersimon Member, PRO Posts: 273
    Having a solid foundation in the tactile arts will increase your abilities in the digital world dramatically. It's partly about building the muscle memory to draw what you want, but more about developing an eye for seeing what is and what isn't correct.

It is my belief that you should definitely practice drawing if you want to become a better digital artist.

I've got a BFA in studio arts with a long history of graphic design study. I've seen the difference in work from people who have a drawing background doing digital work vs. people who just know the digital tools without an arts foundation. The results, in my eyes, are undeniable.
  • AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362
    The nice thing about digital art is that you can fine tune things to your liking. You definitely want at least some drawing skill, but in a digital landscape, it's much easier to fix your mistakes, and make everything look perfect.

Most of it is about artistic vision as well as being as nit-picky as possible, but if you're serious about doing digital art long-term, I'd suggest learning at least basic drawing skills as well.

Asymptoteell
  • zombieaddictzombieaddict Member Posts: 213
    entersimon said:
    Having a solid foundation in the tactile arts will increase your abilities in the digital world dramatically. It's partly about building the muscle memory to draw what you want, but more about developing an eye for seeing what is and what isn't correct.

It is my belief that you should definitely practice drawing if you want to become a better digital artist.

I've got a BFA in studio arts with a long history of graphic design study. I've seen the difference in work from people who have a drawing background doing digital work vs. people who just know the digital tools without an arts foundation. The results, in my eyes, are undeniable.

+1
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    I found this interesting and informative:

http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    Drawing is core. I can't recommend it highly enough. You can make images without it but it's all variations of moving things about, rather than just creating fluidly. Others may disagree, but I have yet to see many things on computer that are original that were not drawn, (even with a mouse). The only downside of the a drawing on paper is that when I've been drawing on computer a week or two I find myself reaching to the bottom left of my drawing board for cmd Z.

kipper
  • eXtraTurnGameseXtraTurnGames Member Posts: 70
    I was never really able to draw well, but am trying to build up my pixel art skills lately. The right art seems to make all the difference when it comes to developing the theme and feel of a game.
  • TheHooglerTheHoogler Member Posts: 102
    Here's a question. I don't currently draw, but have toyed with the idea of taking courses in drawing. While I know I can learn the skill, I'm not certain I'd have the ability to visualize my goal. Do art classes help you hone this visualizing skill, or do is that just an inherent trait of an artist?

I'm a musician, so if I'm given a theme, I can imagine the structure and composition necessary to convey that theme. I don't want to waste my money on art classes if I won't be taught how to hone my visual skills.

Make sense?
  • zombieaddictzombieaddict Member Posts: 213
    TheHoogler said:
    Here's a question. I don't currently draw, but have toyed with the idea of taking courses in drawing. While I know I can learn the skill, I'm not certain I'd have the ability to visualize my goal. Do art classes help you hone this visualizing skill, or do is that just an inherent trait of an artist?

I'm a musician, so if I'm given a theme, I can imagine the structure and composition necessary to convey that theme. I don't want to waste my money on art classes if I won't be taught how to hone my visual skills.

Make sense?

experience is the best teacher. the more you draw the easier it is to draw whatever you can see in your mind