iPad release questions

EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
edited November -1 in Introductions
Heyo, due to my anticipation of the iPad release I have a few questions about it.

So if we were trying to get a game ready for the iPad, we would have no idea if it runs well until we buy one and see for ourselves, right?

Will GameSalad be able to produce iPad games by the time it comes out?

I'm sure more will come to me.

Comments

• iDeveloperziDeveloperz Member Posts: 1,169
    Maybe but its pretty much like an ipod touch, and all of the iphone apps run on it anyway.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    I don't think anyone but the big developers will have stuff ready for day one unfortunately. No way to get a 'test' version of the iPad short of buying one at launch.

And while yes, it could be seen as a big ipod touch (as Mr. Iwata recently chortled while diving into an olympic size swimming pool full of money at Nintendo HQ) to dismiss it would be a mistake. I've already got lots of ideas of how to make iPad modifications to current and upcoming sheep games to take advantage of the big screen.

With a little imagination, it could be quite wonderful :)

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• rebumprebump Member Posts: 1,058
    Although there will probably be a little more to iPad apps than just using a higher resolution, it probably wouldn't hurt to add to your app's menu a resolution selection between 480x320 and 1024x768 and then develop a set of physical scenes (one in each resolution) for each logical scene.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    I'm already brainstorming and working with someone on iPad games, I think it has a lot of potential as a gaming device, and to not get working on something right now would be a missed opportunity!

As soon as the iPad comes out (the wifi version) in 30 days, we can then upload gamesalad on there for testing right?

From what I hear, the 3G version is coming out in 90 days, and Wifi version in 30
    I heard WiFi in 60 days and the 3G 30 days after that (so 90).
    Oh cool! :)
    Can you also test games that are configured for the iPad on the iphone like you said Tshirt? Would you have to reconfigure the graphics or will it automatically downsize to the iphone/ipod touch screen?
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    I just wonder bow that's gonna work in the app store. Do we put HD in the title or will there be a ipad portal intje app store. I k ow that developers wanna get a head start but what wil distinguish the game from the others when buying in the app store I wonder.

Just knd of thinking out loud.....
  • ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    One of my games will be like How Illusion Labs did a big touchgrind park without making everything big. it would us have more space instead of upsizing everything.
    I should add to my first post in this thread...I don't know if you can "switch" between resolution in GS apps since I have not installed 0.8.* yet to know if you can do so on the fly. So maybe the menu option to select resolution is not doable. Yeah, waiting for 0.8.* to stabilize so I don't have re-work upon re-work. Sounds like 0.8.2 is almost there (and I may need to go with it if we don't hear about 0.8.3 soon).
    @ktfright: Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. Keep the sizing of the actors about the same just have a bigger play area upon the screen. I think it would look like the game is more complex or has more to offer. But I can see some reasons to go bigger on the sizing of actors too (i.e. for cleanliness or for young kids/old people).

Not to mention more real estate for UI where I think the real gains are...now you can stay away from your dual joysticks/d-pads and score/status areas.

I hope the iPad introduces some good RPGs.