Anything we need to know about publishing for the iPad?

butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
Image resolution, is it still sticking to 72 dpi or is it now more?

When publishing with Gamesalad, which screen size do we choose? And is it HD or non?

Any tips or info anyone can post here would be great!

Also, can we test an iPad game on the iphone? Will it automatically downsize the screen or would we have to create a smaller version?

Comments

• ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    Just to be safe, i would make it the iPad standard resolution until we get better info about it.

I assume if you are making a game for all devices, it will upsize for iPad.
  • sdparduesdpardue Member Posts: 110
    Looks like for now, we can publish only landscape-oriented games (natively for the iPad, that is), since there's not a 768 x 1024 option available in GameSalad.

That could change, I guess. Not sure why the portrait iPad option wasn't included, since the portrait iPhone/iPod Touch was...???
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    So what about images and resolution, anything we need to know about that?

I agree, not sure why portrait option wasn't available for the iPad, but I'm just happy we're able to publish to the iPad!

KT, what about downsizing? if you program a game meant for the iPad, can you test it on the iphone?
  • ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    You probably can, but that may be something someone needs to try out for themselves. doing that might make everything go haywire.
  • gregr209gregr209 Member Posts: 441
    DPI is 132 on the iPad. I have already run my 2 apps under the iPad simulator. It runs pretty cool. They don't look to bad in the 2x mode.

Anything you create can be run on the simulator but I don't think you can run it on the iPhone. In the SDK I don't think it will compile correctly.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    I use pixen to save all my images which saves them by default to 72 dpi

So if I don't change the DPI to 132, will the images look blurry?
  • gregr209gregr209 Member Posts: 441
    If your images are already at say 300dpi then save them down to 132 just to be safe. I don't think you can really upconvert them without lost of clarity. Don't take my word for it. I am an old, old, time Photoshop guy that hasn't touch Photoshop in 10 years so I am not real sure how screen dpi translates from print dpi. It wasn't until the last several months that I started getting back into using Photoshop again.

My 72dpi images for my current games, look okay, in the iPad simulator but just the mere fact they are being blown up doesn't help them much...they look a little pixelated. I am going to do some tests soon to see if I can tell the difference.
  • rebumprebump Member Posts: 1,058
    Never really thought or test this but I think the DPI resolution on printing/scanning devices (300dpi/120dpi/2400dpi/etc.) varies much more greatly than display devices (or at least it used to) so probably not a great deal of loss for display changes.

I think the new Nexus 1 has a much more concentrated DPI than the iPhone, so there could be a change between the two if you convert your app there. Between the iPad and iPhone, maybe not so much but...

I guess we'll have to wait until the device emerges to know for sure.