Trying to create a graphic...

BlackbirdStudiosBlackbirdStudios Member Posts: 493
Hey guys,

So I am getting pretty good at Adobe Illustrator. But I wanted to ask a question.

How could I make a cartoony looking snowball? I have been looking around the internet and cannot find a good way to start. I know how to do it but I need help making it look cartoony. Any suggestions?

Comments

• JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    I would start by making a bunch of different sized circles, overlap them, then use the shape builder tool on it and that will give you the snowball shape. Then you could put a radial gradient that goes white to light light blue or grey or if you dont want a gradient use the pathfinder to cut out a shape out of the original to cell shade with.
  • BlackbirdStudiosBlackbirdStudios Member Posts: 493
    Thanks john, I'll try that tomorrow and report back here with the results.
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    How much did you pay for illustrator
  • SpriteAttackSpriteAttack Member Posts: 524
    I just did a quick test while waiting for a render... I tried out 4 different approaches... They should be pretty easy to recreate [even in illustrator - I am using CorelDraw [out of habit, speed and due to some features missing in illustrator that are essential for the way I work]]

http://www.spriteattack.com/_misc/Snowball_test.jpg
    Hey spriteattack, I tried to model one of your versions, but it doesn't look exactly right

snowball

What am I missing?
  • SpriteAttackSpriteAttack Member Posts: 524
    It's hard to say Blackbird but it's two things the outline being too thin and causing antialiasing problems - might be solved easily by increasing it and exporting in 2x the game size and scaling down in photoshop - and the gradient... It looks more linear than radial - if it's radial move the center - the white - further down to give the ball more depth...
  • AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362
    Maybe try adding some little black specks?

Kind of like this, only vector:
    fineartamerica.com/images-medium/snowball-fight-joy-dinardo-bradley-----dinardo-designs-----------.jpg
    SpriteAttack said:
    It's hard to say Blackbird but it's two things the outline being too thin and causing antialiasing problems - might be solved easily by increasing it and exporting in 2x the game size and scaling down in photoshop - and the gradient... It looks more linear than radial - if it's radial move the center - the white - further down to give the ball more depth...

So, the white need to be more or less in the center? And how much darker should the surrounding area be?
    Ok, so I think I figured out what you were saying. How about this?

snowballrevised

Does that look any better?
  • hman360hman360 Member Posts: 590
    How's this:
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    If you like it I'd be happy to send you the file.
    hman360 said:
    How's this:
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    If you like it I'd be happy to send you the file.

I'd appreciate that:

blackbirdstudiosgd(at)yahoo(dot)com

I won't copy, it but I might use it as a guide to help.

Thanks!

LIKE our NEW Facebook to see what we're up to! : Blackbird Studios Facebook Page
    Hey, can you send me that file hman360?