Competition

iDeveloperziDeveloperz Member Posts: 1,169
edited November -1 in Introductions
Hi everyone I am doing a competition for promotion. And I was wondering about the laws against it. Like copyright. The competition is to design your own video game.

www.ideveloperz.com > Competitions

Comments

• dereklaruedereklarue Member Posts: 121
    So...
    You want people to give you there games they worked hard on so you can sell it and profit from it because your to lazy to make your own? Wow..
    lol, loved this part:
    "By entering competitions you ARE agreeing to give all of your content and anything related to that content to iDeveloperz, ensuring that iDeveloperz will then own that content."
    People would be better off buying the 99$ Dev from apple and posting it themselves. At least that way they would be able to profit lol.
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    LOL, Seriously "By entering competitions you ARE agreeing to give all of your content and anything related to that content to iDeveloperz, ensuring that iDeveloperz will then own that content."

NO!!!!!

(And quite frankly, I think you're pretty lame even suggesting that I would give you my game right and title just to enter your stupid little competition, get lost)
  • SDMGSDMG Member Posts: 280
    lame!
  • JoshKahaneJoshKahane Member Posts: 470
    Crikey. Sometimes I just don't understand.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Guys, he's just a kid (and I don't mean to be condescending).

I think what he's trying to communicate, albeit badly, is that if you can't get your game published because you're too young to get a dev licence but can use GameSalad, he'll 'publish' your game for you.

I'm sure he's not expecting people from *here*, who already *can* publish their own games to the app store, to give their game away - I imagine most entries would be slight variations on the templates GS provides made by other people his own age or thereabouts. He's not asking you to enter the competition, merely wondering about the copyright laws.

To iDeveloperz - I'd change the competition to read that *both* entries would have to be sold for nothing or have any sales split between you and the winner. Also, the winners would retain their copyright, so that if they can get a dev licence later they can take back their game.

That way you're not outright profiting from someone else's work and they're actually 'winning' something and not being ripped off.

If your intention really was to just get someone else to write a game for you, and then take any and all money from that game's sales, then you need to rethink your strategy, steer away from that perhaps and keep plugging away at your own games.

GS already gives you a massive shortcut to making your own games. You don't have to look for any more.

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    First off to anyone being mean to ideveloperz, shame on you this is not the place for that.
    You can give your opinion without being a jerk... He DID ask for advice didn't he?

Im not going to dive into any opinions about the actual contest.
    I would just be careful diving into something that put you in a long term obligation.

Five years down the road you have a game that is a hit but you didnt develop it. Which is fine, many dont but they are legally buying intellectual rights etc. and are prepared financially to back up any legal disputes.

As i stated in another post there is no law that says you can do this or cant do that.

It comes down to what will people take to court.
    You could have the winner come back and sue you a year later. There is no such thing as saying "you agreed to the terms" when you get sued. YOu get sued and its just that simple. And its also very expensive to defend yourself.

Agreeing to terms will not save you that expense.

Just my advice and be careful.

One more small suggestion, and thats all it is is small.
    On your website there is alot of mention of "we" and "our games"
    Isn't it just you?
    If thats the case make that known.

If you sell yourself as a corporation people really expect a lot more vs. saying hey this is my company and these are my games.
    I think folks appreciate that more.

Like this:
    If an artist was selling his paintings alont side the road people would check them out maybe even support him. If wal mart set up a booth noone would stop.

Just my 2 cents since sending us to check out your site
    Heh - I use 'we' as well, though in reality it's just me. Though I count my friends as 'honourary employees' as they help with advice and stuff!

I think it projects a more professional view of your company - but I think you're right, it may be better to go down the more personal route...

Hmmmm....

We're going to go think about it. We'll be back in a bit...

;)

• iDeveloperziDeveloperz Member Posts: 1,169
    What no.

1) Its not for YOU guys.
    2) You don't make the game just design the characters and a plot.
    3) Its for people who might not own a mac or don't know how to make a game. I get asked everyday in school, how do you make a game for the iPhone.
    4) I am not lazy because I would make the game for that person.
    5) All those 'iDeveloperz will own the content" stuff is just for legal reasons.
    I'm pretty sure that when the comp was up (it's not now) it said something like 'you can make the game in Gamesalad or Xcode'...

• JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    @QS

yes i agree with you when it can be pulled off.

i guess i was politely saying if it looks indie dont hide it.

if someone can sell a ton out of their house with a site to rival amazon's go for it.

if you are not making money and using google web template #27 thats another story...and pretty much me lol

ironically i have Creative Suite and my last job was web design. Guess im just over it.
  • SDMGSDMG Member Posts: 280
    So the people design characters, a story, the sound a plot etc... then for the winners of the competition you create the game with GS and share the profit with them?
    Yes.

I dont expect you guys to do it. Your already pro developers making money.

Sorry I should of given you more detail.
  • dereklaruedereklarue Member Posts: 121
    Understandable.
    Just make sure you point out what you intend on doing more clear, alot of people may get the wrong idea (including me). I still dont know what to think of this. lol
    :)
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    really good points tiny monster.

i apologize iDeveloperz for calling you lame. I was in a grumpy mood this morning, sorry.

If your intention was that you were saying you wanted to market my games we can work something out. :)
    Your all ready a developer.
    Aren't you?