Illustrtator or Photoshop

LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
Which should i get illustrator or photoshop?

Comments

• LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    OK thank you!,
    can they both do the same thing?
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Illustrator is for vector art
    Photoshop is for image editing

There is a lot of overlap, but they also have things only they can do. Both are extremely powerful, but also very complicated
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    LeonardDeveloper said:
    Which should i get illustrator or photoshop?

Pixelmator is supposedly adding vector support soon. So... possibly neither Illustrator or Photoshop.
    possibly maybe pixelmator,
    But of the moment:
    What i need is some software that designs me backgrounds, actors and graphics
    Which one do i choose?
    Illustrator or Photoshop?
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    try the 30 day trial of both and see what works for you. If you want the cartoony look youll be using illustrator most of the time.

you can also use gimp as ps and inkscape as illustrator alternative and there both free.

Just cause you have adobe software thats not gonna make you a artist. Your gonna have to practice practice practice and get past the learning curves (which any advanced software will have)
  • SpriteAttackSpriteAttack Member Posts: 524
    I would also suggest the 30 day trial of CorelDraw - it's less expensive than the Adobe products - comes in a package (vector, bitmap, trace, font tools) - and has some features like multiple pages in vectors, animation in bitmaps that make it a good tool to do game art...
    JohnPapiomitis said:
    try the 30 day trial of both and see what works for you. If you want the cartoony look youll be using illustrator most of the time.

you can also use gimp as ps and inkscape as illustrator alternative and there both free.

Just cause you have adobe software thats not gonna make you a artist. Your gonna have to practice practice practice and get past the learning curves (which any advanced software will have)

thank you very much,
    I am going to have to practice!
    SpriteAttack said:
    I would also suggest the 30 day trial of CorelDraw - it's less expensive than the Adobe products - comes in a package (vector, bitmap, trace, font tools) - and has some features like multiple pages in vectors, animation in bitmaps that make it a good tool to do game art...

i shall try it,
    Thank You!
  • JamieOneilJamieOneil Member Posts: 877
    personally, i use photoshop, i do not own illustrator. All of my artwork is done on pen/paper/photoshop
  • dmilinovichiiidmilinovichiii Member Posts: 620
    Try http://pixlr.com/editor/

It is great for image editing and creation and is free.
    ya pixlr is good, put i need something that doe sthe job, but fast, good and easy to use like illustrator
  • GruntGrunt Member Posts: 109
    Why are your question always about such phenomenal basics that you surprise me?? Two days ago you were asking what a bundle identity is. Now you ask about the differences in vector ad bitmap. Correct me if I m wrong...but the point is that I do not really remember when but I have read comments from you on subjects which a pretty advanced developer asks. .. Anyways! GS forum is a great support place for developers right from the first day they enter developing so every question of any level is answered without any discrimination. You know it better than me for sure...
    I d recommend try learning both Illustrator and Photoshop. You will be needing both at some point. They are very similar in interface design so learning one complements the other. I ve been in graphics industry for quiet some time now and my experience is that try n use the industry standard and if you are tight on budget go for the second best as there is a remarkable price jump. People (Often Social misfits) recommending odd software which probably you ve never heard of sometimes do that just to stand out as unique or *geekish*. (Believe me they don t use that software themselves). If you have long term goals and are here to stay. Use standard software. Adobe software is cutting edge with tons of plugins and support and above all used by almost the whole mankind!
    Grunt said:
    Why are your question always about such phenomenal basics that you surprise me?? Two days ago you were asking what a bundle identity is. Now you ask about the differences in vector ad bitmap. Correct me if I m wrong...but the point is that I do not really remember when but I have read comments from you on subjects which a pretty advanced developer asks. .. Anyways! GS forum is a great support place for developers right from the first day they enter developing so every question of any level is answered without any discrimination. You know it better than me for sure...
    I d recommend try learning both Illustrator and Photoshop. You will be needing both at some point. They are very similar in interface design so learning one complements the other. I ve been in graphics industry for quiet some time now and my experience is that try n use the industry standard and if you are tight on budget go for the second best as there is a remarkable price jump. People (Often Social misfits) recommending odd software which probably you ve never heard of sometimes do that just to stand out as unique or *geekish*. (Believe me they don t use that software themselves). If you have long term goals and are here to stay. Use standard software. Adobe software is cutting edge with tons of plugins and support and above all used by almost the whole mankind!

i shall use adobe
  • LeonardDeveloper said:
    close this topic

why close it?! :L You don't have to close a thread because its finished!
    ok, sorry i just thought because i have resolved my issue there is no need to keep wasting space in the forum
    Also use all te free/online and unheard software for some special feature they offer. Just check them for that for some quick filter. What i meant btw was although the odd ones might be free and great but the question here was photoshop OR illustrator (bmp vs vector)! If u re low on budget any thing which creates image for u is great.
    ok,
    which do you believe is better for game graphics:
    Illustrator or Photoshop
  • SpriteAttackSpriteAttack Member Posts: 524
    Leonard - you must be joking, right? This whole threat tried to explain that there is no one program better than the other... And in the end it's not the programs making good art - they are merely a tool...

You will need photoshop or gimp or another bitmap tool as all the art in game salad has to be bitmap (and it's hard to control things on a pixel level in illustrator when you export the art from there).

But as far as creation of art goes illustrator is the more versatile and IMHO faster tool as you can reuse, alter and reassemble the art a lot better.

Have you considered the option of saving the money for a PS or AI license and pay a good artist instead? ;)
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    I've said this before for game development, it's no the tool, it's the person behind it.
    SpriteAttack said:
    Leonard - you must be joking, right? This whole threat tried to explain that there is no one program better than the other... And in the end it's not the programs making good art - they are merely a tool...

You will need photoshop or gimp or another bitmap tool as all the art in game salad has to be bitmap (and it's hard to control things on a pixel level in illustrator when you export the art from there).

But as far as creation of art goes illustrator is the more versatile and IMHO faster tool as you can reuse, alter and reassemble the art a lot better.

Have you considered the option of saving the money for a PS or AI license and pay a good artist instead? ;)

i was being sarcastic
    SpriteAttack said:

i was being sarcastic
    For game art illustrator gives the crisp feel and secondly future updates at any higher res will be possible without an issue. I normally create game graphics in illustrator than paint and touch them in photoshop but that is just a habit and my way of working. he final image i save from photoshop. Images born in illustrator are inherently crisper. I know that can be done in photoshop as well but the outlines have to be managed and sometimes are not satisfactory. Photoshop is the friendlier of two.
    Hey common! feel free to be sarcastic. Sarcasm is a creative activity, privilege of the gifted people so feel free to publicly use it. Great writers do that too. Anyways, wonder why people start preaching "the artist behind the art" inspiration in reply to simple questions. I was working at a sound studio once and some one asked which is better Protools or ADAT. Somebody in the room said "the musician who is playing". Well the studio engineer at that point interrupted and very timely said
    "OK you Moron! if that same genius musician records on pro tools or adat would there be a difference?".The answer this time was "ummm...I never thought about that!"