Highscores website?

urhungryurhungry Member Posts: 112
I was just wondering if with a pro membership you could do what sunflat games dies, and link to a website with high scores on it. That way, if you could make a web high score board, you could have online high scores. Just a thought.

Comments

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    I'm 99% sure you can, or you can do what we did for Tumble Jumble and make your own mysql leaderboard.

Darren.
  • eliehangeliehang Member, PRO Posts: 105
    how do you do that?
  • HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
    I would be interested in that too :-)
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    Ouch so i guess pro is limited.....i do see a great future for GS and would love to see this feature included in the $99 package.

Darren.
  • BeyondtheTechBeyondtheTech Member Posts: 809
    @tshirtbooth: You can't build a custom URL with a string Attribute? I don't have Pro yet, so I don't know.

i.e. `SubmitScoreURL = "http://www.mygamewebsite.com/highscores.php?submit=yes&username=" .. Game.PlayerName .. "&score=" .. Game.PlayerScore .. "&confirm=password1234"`

And on the server, use something like this: http://www.plus2net.com/php_tutorial/variables2.php
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Not yet, it's something we have been clamoring for, the URL field is not an expression editor field, text only
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    I bet it is safe to assume they are working on it
  • iDeveloperziDeveloperz Member Posts: 1,169
    For a high scores website you need to make a HTML/CSS scoreboard and say for every 100/1000 points (Use an attribute to spawn actor if score > 1000 etc) and it spawns a code you need to type on the HTML/CSS scoreboard.
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    or just have an html page ( /object) for every possible score lol
  • rebumprebump Member Posts: 1,058
    Seems like it would be pretty easy for the devs to convert the static string input to an expression based string. Could easily open up a lot of things.

A quick XML parser for return data would be nice too but even if it was limited to just a one character or word response for verification, it would open up some things for GS (Pro) users.

A boolean for the URL type for whether it was to open the page in the mobile web browser or parse a response would likely be needed.

Oh well, moving into full blown implementation now...
    but people could post a fake score.
  • rebumprebump Member Posts: 1,058
    True that but then they would need to tear the app down on a jailbroken phone or sniff packets from a WiFi connected phone and reassemble the HTTP requests to discover the URL. Pretty much all the same stuff you would run into if you rolled your own high score system. Even if you encrypt the HTTP request, if they have a jailbroken phone they could get to the URL building code prior to encryption if they were smart enough. You could require registration at the web site and then monitor for odd anomolies such as sending the start game time and then the high score in seperate requests and know a user couldn't score such-n-such in so little time. Or the number/frequency of high score updates for a given user or from a given IP or setup of IPs or...

...each new game play could request a play code from the server before play commences and if high score, the score and the code are sent back but then that is still capable of being overcome and you now have added a possible slow (3G) request to start the game.

Open to ideas folks.

Even those can be overcome if diligent enough. It is akin to copy protection and crackerz (i.e cat-n-mouse game).
    True, but would someone go through all of that to be first in one of our games?
  • JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    Me thinking I would pay monthly for a high score server. For instance:

$20/month for any amount of games or something.

But then again if we get openfeint.....
  • RowanRowan Member Posts: 1
    Website form builder
    is a program for creating contact forms, online surveys, and invitations so you can collect the data, registrations and online payments you need without writing a single line of code.