Why couldn't everyone review like this

JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
edited November -1 in Introductions
its funny how people one star something when its free.

For example i got around 150 1stars reviews and only about 10 5 stars (id give it a 3 myself)
now that i am charging .99 i have gotten only two 1star reviews and mostly about 15 4s and 5s

After reading forums i have found the term "freetard" which, made me chuckle.
It was often described as people who download anything for free play it 10 seconds and say "nope not for me" then leave a 1star just because the thing pops up.

Leads me to this.... Here is a review i got today. I wish everyone was like this.........

...............From Itunes...........

"Sadly I feel I must disagree with most of the other reviewers here. I didn\'t really like the game. It is alright, the graphics are nice.
My biggest complaint is that you can only go right of left at a single speed, and must be moving in one or the other direction. I would have enjoyed it much more if the controls were proportional to the tilt of the iPhone, with more tilt moving the monster faster.
Even though I didn\'t like it all that great, it really had no probems for the short while I played it; so three stars"

Comments

• JoshKahaneJoshKahane Member Posts: 470
    I agree it is disappointing that people have that attitude. I would rather them not leave any review and the one you have shown above is a great one. Nice to see some people dedicate a short amount of time to reviewing their games.

Sadly I don't think its going to change any time soon. There is always going to be people with that lazy 'meh' attitude.
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    now they 2 star, right? lol

I like the 100 word requirement. although we would just see tons of

you suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

(Which i got in german once)
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    I think it's silly that the only way to rate a game directly from your iPhone is by deleting it.

What if you like it?
    Good point.

People only leave the bad review out of convenience since it pops up.
    You have to go out of your way to leave a good one.

Kind of encourages the negative nellys a little more
  • gregr209gregr209 Member Posts: 441
    Oh my gosh...I was going INSANE yesterday. In honor of GroundHog Day I put my stupid silly 'Sounds That Drive You Crazy' app for free...I did NO advertising at all put still had 1430 downloads...and as the day wore on I started getting 1 star reviews!!!! I couldn't believe it!!!! Yes the app is dumb but for FREE what the heck...why do these folks even bother given it a rating! I was SO MAD :-) That will be the last time I do a freebie...I will do promo codes only but never a full day of free. INSANE.

Sad that you try and just do something nice and people act like that! Oh well...my rant is now over :-)
    Yeah i read so many forums that say dont make your game free

1. you get a ton of 1 stars
    2. you lose any ranking you have
    I was surprised that I got so much attention and that the app was downloaded that many times. I guess people are really looking at the various lists that show app price changes. So maybe it would be better to raise the price to 1.99 now and then and then lower it to attract more attention that way.
    i think a lot of people just download everything free too though.

if a game starts free you get a ton of downloads too

worth trying though
    especially if you dont have a rank to worry about
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    I am glad to see this thread, as I couldn't understand why I have gotten a few single stars for my Food Fight! Game which is free. Unless it totally crashes you out, how do you rate a functioning game so bad when it's free?

If someone is going to rate poor, it would sure be good to know why. By the way, you can rate on the iPhone without deleting.
  • EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
    Right, except the reviewer has to go out of their way to give a positive review.
  • BeyondtheTechBeyondtheTech Member Posts: 809
    I agree it's the stupidest place to ask for a rating. If you're deleting an app, it's because one of three main reasons: you don't like it, you don't need it, or you're out of storage space. So out of those three reasons, two will obviously tend to give you a negative rating.
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    most people don't think about the fact that games are MADE. To them they just ARE. They really don't think that a game could be made be real people who actually put a lot of creative energy into their work. So I don't think people give more than 1 second of thought, if any, before touching a star. It would be an interesting experiment if apple switched the rating system to go from right to left - I bet we'd all get 5 stars! I don't think people even really look where they are tapping.
  • JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    I 5 star everything upon deletion. Whether it was crap or not, just to make up for all the needless 1 stars =)
    JGary321...your a God among men for doing that :-) I think I will start doing that as well. Maybe this can become a trend!
  • jkornoffjkornoff Member Posts: 55
    I'm with all of you guys here. A one-star rating should be for something that is BROKE. If the game works, does what it says it will do in the description, then 3-stars is an appropriate rating. You have to do a good job with your descriptions and screenshots. The more screenshots you have, the better I think.

A few bad reviews, deserved or not, can drag down you're whole game!

But we're here together in all this. I, for one, am going to pledge to help out my fellow GSers when able.
  • HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
    I don't even want to release lite versions.

We have free versions of some of our games, but I don't think, it is good for anything.

Freetards (I like the word!) don't buy anything. They are even too stupid to jailbreak their phones, that is the reason why they download on appstore and do not warez on cydia.

There are people, of course, who are trying out before buy. They are the good ones.

We have one game which is only available for free. It is in the top 20 of all free games I believe and there are as many 5 star revies as 1 stars. We plan to release the advanced version of it next week and in the reviews many people are waiting for it. It will cost 99 cent of course and we hope for a few thousand sales, because of the existing fanbase.

So free games can be a good marketing thing, but it has to be really good and you have to plan your strategy.

Releasing a game with a lite version together is not good.

Release it for free to build a fanbase and then you can sell your games.
  • CoIinCoIin Member Posts: 197
    >you suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

>(Which i got in german once)

Did it come out as:

>you süüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüück!

?
  • HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
    @Colin: LOL

----

In iTunes there is text next to the stars and 1 star means "I don't like it".

It has nothing to do with quality or broken or not broken. It's simply like or don't like ...