follow mouse constrain to circle

SAMmanSAMman Member Posts: 228
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
Hey guys, could anyone help with this? I want to orbit an actor around another actor but I want it to follow the mouse and not just be going around in orbit. I want's it to be constrained around a circle still but just be able to make it follow where the mouse is without leaving the orbit constraints. Any thoughts? Thanks.
SM

Comments

• SAMmanSAMman Member Posts: 228
    is there anyone that can help? I really need some on this one.
  • RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879
    Try something like this:
    constrain attribute: self.Position.X To: sceneX+orbitRadius*cos(vectorToAngle( game.Mouse.Position.X - sceneX , game.Mouse.Position.Y - sceneY ))
    constrain attribute: self.Position.Y To: sceneY+orbitRadius*sin(vectorToAngle( game.Mouse.Position.X - sceneX , game.Mouse.Position.Y - sceneY ))

sceneX and sceneY is the center point (in scene coordinates) that you want to orbit around
    orbitRadius is the distance from the center point
    it almost works. it's just doing a strange thing with making two images of the actor that is in orbit appear instead of one. but you have certainly helped. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks again.
    it workd, thanks!
    I had my constraints mixed up.
    any thought on how to integrate tilt control in place of the mouse? That was my next step.
  • RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879
    Glad it worked!

Also, if you want the actor to point away from the center point (and towards the mouse) you could constrain the actor to:
    vectorToAngle( game.sceneX - self.Position.X , game.sceneY - self.Position.Y )

As for tilt control, here is a way to determine "down" from the accelerometers. (The actor can point "down", whatever that means.)

(vectorToAngle( game.Accelerometer.X , game.Accelerometer.Y )+90)%360

The +90 is in case the device is oriented to landscape left. If in portrait, just remove the +90.

EDIT: Both of those would be used to constrain self.rotation
    that makes sense. thanks. I am still messing around with but something just isn't working quite right.