How do you copy an actor from scene to actor panel?

TwistedMechTwistedMech Member Posts: 408
edited November -1 in Tech Support
If I make a modification to a scene actor with new name and lots of rules. Is there a way to copy that actor from the scene to the actor game panel so it can be used later in another scene?

Comments

• rebumprebump Member Posts: 1,058
    I've never tried changing the name of an instance actor (i.e. the actor placed manually in a scene).

The actors in the actor panel are your palette and they are called prototype actors. You can place them in a scene where the placed copy is known as an instance actor. The instance actor retains almost all the traits of the prototype actors (sans positioning X/Y attribute values). You can then edit the attributes/rules/behaviors of the instance actor and those will not affect the prototype actor. There should then be a button in the instance actor you can press to restore the behaviors/rules of the prototype version of that actor. I believe there is also another button you can use to push those changes (in the behaviors/rules) made to that instance actor back into the prototype actor thus affecting not only the prototype actor but also all other instance actors that have not specifically been modified at the instance level (i.e. they retain the default prototype actor behaviors/rules).

So, I'm not sure if your question is 100% accurate since I don't think you can unassociate an instance actor with its prototype actor short of what I stated above.
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    Copy the rules from your instance and paste them into a new actor prototype.
  • rebumprebump Member Posts: 1,058
    Well, when you put it like that ORBZ, maybe I misunderstood what he/she was trying to do! ;-)
  • TwistedMechTwistedMech Member Posts: 408
    When pushing rules, I seem to lose all the self.xxxxx settings even if self.xxxxx exits. I will look for the button mentioned but I thought that replaced the updated instance with the prototype actor rules which would kill any new changes. I will recheck today.
  • TwistedMechTwistedMech Member Posts: 408
    When you double click an instance of an actor that has not yet had its behaviors changed from the norm of the prototype, you will see a lock over the Rule Editor Pane. Once you click on the Looking at the wiki, seems changes made to a scene actor are not able to be copied back to actor panel. I will play later today to see if it works if you rename the scene actor and then click the button.

lock, you can change the behaviors of the instance. However, if you directly dragged-and-dropped a behavior onto an actor instance in the Scene Editor view, this lock overlay will not be seen.

If you want to revert the actor instance's behaviors back to the settings of the prototype actor, click on the “Revert to Prototype” button which located on the top left of the Rule Editor pane of an actor instance.