Can't decide on icon... Which do you like?

CutOutGamesCutOutGames Member Posts: 30
Hi there!

Now that my game Ink Gem Adventure is in beta and being tested by people other than myself, I've found time to actually do other game-related things that aren't testing related. I've been making a couple icons for the game, and I can't decide which one I like more so far. Take a look!

The first one: image

The second one: image

Which do you like better? These don't have to be the final choices, so if you like different aspects of both, let me know! If you have suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Comments

• JadarStudiosJadarStudios Member Posts: 264
    What do you use to make your art?
  • YouKnowMeYouKnowMe Member Posts: 74
    I can't decide either xD, both like them, love the art style. I think the second one pops out the most because of the bigger color depth.
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,881
    It looks blurred and the gems are to small for an icon.
    They will be colored dots.

I would choose something between 1 and 2 where the character is a little closer then one but not as close as number 2.
  • CutOutGamesCutOutGames Member Posts: 30
    @JadarStudios To make the icons, I used Deep Blue Apps Icon Creator. For the actual art used for the icons and the game, I actually drew every piece of art on construction paper, cut it out, scanned it in, and put all the pieces together in GIMP. Winston (the purple rabbit) was made out of 10 individual construction paper pieces, while his in-game animation used about 20. Backgrounds used even more because of the little details.

@YouKnowMe Thanks for the feedback! I feel like the second one has more personality compared to the first one, but something about the first one keeps me on the fence.
    @LudwigHeijden The blurriness is intentional, it's caused by light in the scanner going through the paper during the scan. If you look closely, it's in the gems as well (though not as noticeable compared to the background and rabbit). I will keep in mind the gem size. On my iPod Touch, I see them just fine, but that may be because I know their gems because I made them.
  • JadarStudiosJadarStudios Member Posts: 264
    daydein said:
    @JadarStudios To make the icons, I used Deep Blue Apps Icon Creator. For the actual art used for the icons and the game, I actually drew every piece of art on construction paper, cut it out, scanned it in, and put all the pieces together in GIMP. Winston (the purple rabbit) was made out of 10 individual construction paper pieces, while his in-game animation used about 20. Backgrounds used even more because of the little details.

@YouKnowMe Thanks for the feedback! I feel like the second one has more personality compared to the first one, but something about the first one keeps me on the fence.

Really creative way to make your art!
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    I Like the first one.

Be careful posting full size Icons, someone already stole on of my icons and publish it on one game. (I don't think it is from this forums, but anyways you should be careful)
    Lol.

Cheers.
  • mu-kowAPPSmu-kowAPPS Member Posts: 233
    The game I'm working on is also construction paper!

I found free images of construction paper online and my art guy used that to make everything.
    @MagoNicolas

Thanks for the warning! Guess I'll try and remove the images from the hosting site and upload smaller images. Now you have me paranoid that someone's taken my Winston lol.
    Well apparently since I just uploaded them without becoming a member, I can't delete them :(. If there's somehow a Sous Chef can delete them from this thread instead, that would be awesome!
  • SpriteAttackSpriteAttack Member Posts: 524
    Keep the focus on the bunny... showing the blurred felt style... but the diamonds will end up being a coloured mess in actual the icon size... I would go with a mix of the two by using the background of the 1st one (no diamonds) and a little tilt and zoom on the bunny's head... if you show the brush I would show the hand holding it ontop of the brush rather than behind it.
    Good luck...
    Well it looks like more people like certain aspects of both icons than one over the other. Using those two as a starting point, I'll make a couple more. I think I'll stick with the kind of background in the first one, but I like the focus on Winston in the second icon more. I'll bring him back a bit though. I'll post the fruits of my labour later today (and some colour variations, I'm not sure if I should stick with light green).
    All right, here's four new icons. They have slightly different overlays in the background (one's like the shine added to icons by Apple, one with the lines like the first icon I posted), and they're either yellow, or light green. I'm considering red or orange as a background colour, but I didn't want to bombard this one post with 8 different icons. Help me narrow down the overlay, and hopefully you like these ones more!

The shiny yellow:

The yellow with lines:

The shiny green:

The green with lines:

I think the yellow makes Winston pop out more than the green. I also made the gems much bigger, so you can make them out more easily compared to the original icons. I know it's been suggested to remove the gems completely, but when I made it without them, it just looked really empty. If you'd like to see some without gems, let me know!