Gradients

JadarStudiosJadarStudios Member Posts: 264
Hello, I have a game that has a background that is a huge gradient. When I put it is GameSalad, it looks just fine. Even when I click preview. But when I put it into my device, or the iOS Simulator, the colors are all choppy. They look horrible. I've tried it with the iPad in the iOS Simulator, and on my iPod touch. What is wrong? I made sure they were the right size, and 72dpi.

Thanks!

Comments

• JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    Hey there, you need to add noise or grain to your image.

For noise:

In Photoshop, add a layer above your gradient.

Fill this layer with a noise filter, something like TV static.

Set this layer's opacity to 5%, so it is just barely visible.

This will clear up the banding issue.

Hopefully this will be addressed at some point, but if you don't want to wait, this will solve the problem.

For grain:

bring the image into photoshop and use the grain filter and add just enough to where its ok with you.
  • JadarStudiosJadarStudios Member Posts: 264
    How would I do that in GIMP?
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    JadarStudios said:
    Hello, I have a game that has a background that is a huge gradient. When I put it is GameSalad, it looks just fine. Even when I click preview. But when I put it into my device, or the iOS Simulator, the colors are all choppy. They look horrible. I've tried it with the iPad in the iOS Simulator, and on my iPod touch. What is wrong? I made sure they were the right size, and 72dpi.

Thanks!

I had to battle with this problem today in Arch Fiery. For my blue-to-black blend, I solved it like this...

In Pixelmator, I created a 32x1024 image. I set the Gradient tool to start with Blue and then transparent. I filled the box with the gradient tool, holding the shift key to make sure that it was straight. In GameSalad, I set the scene background to black. Boom... there's the background. There's still slight banding, but it looks pretty good... better than when I tried to add noise. Even at the lowest level, the background looked so grainy.
    @John, I tried it, I added some noise, in my case RGB Noise, set to black, then set the opacity to 5%. It came out like this:

What makes it do this?
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    The method works very well, you may have to tweak around a bit to get the right settings. This is the post from tshirtbooth that has the recommended settings you should try.

http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=13550#post-104685
    Thanks so much everyone! I finally got it. I don't have Photoshop, but here is how I did it:

1) I got my picture, and went to http://pizlr.com/editor/.
    2) Load it into the online editor, and duplicate the background layer, by right clicking on it, and clicking "Duplicate."
    3) Make sure the duplicated layer is selected. Now click Filters -> Noise..
    4) Set it to something that looks like TV Static, I did it at around 80 I think, and click OK.
    5) In the Layers tab, click the icon furthest left, to show the layer mode and opacity.
    6) Change the opacity down to 6/7. That seems to be around the right setting.
    7) Save the image, import into GameSalad, and you're good to go!

Here is my finished product: