How many items can be on one large platformer game

butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
I'm currently working on a new title with a graphics artist, and it's a platforming sidescroller.

Question is, I have many different background elements like trees and such that all coincide with the power of 2 rule.

But I'm not sure if I'm putting too many elements in the background and possibly creating memory issues.

I know this is a loaded question, but how many trees and other elements can I add to the background and foreground without using up too much memory? (again, these all stick to the power of 2 rule)

Comments

• JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    No one can say as of right now... Probably more than you're gonna have on screen. Stationary items probably won't use much memory. Spawning enemies will use up a lot more. You'll just have to experiment when the viewer becomes available.
  • zombotszombots Member Posts: 186
    any chance we have an idea of how far away the the viewer is?
  • JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=203

Thats my only guess. Usually takes Apple up to a month to approve things. They are notoriously slowwwwww. Like dial-up slow =)

EDIT: I can not verify they were speaking of the viewer since we never got an official response back, but I assume it was. I can't think of anything else they could have been speaking of.

-JGary
  • MillerEPMillerEP Member Posts: 22
    I don't believe you'll come across any issues with background art and effects, especially if you're scaling it like you say you are. The issues really come about when dealing with actors with a lot of attributes, or if you have a ton of collideable objects on one screen.