If you want to work with GS on a Hackintosh (fricken stable)

HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
edited November -1 in Tech Support
Download "iPortable_Snow_x86_Installer_[MacOSX]" 10.6.2 and install it.
It's a bit tricky.

You need a 10.5.6 installed and running. Then you can prepare a USB stick to boot with iPortable 10.6.2.

Then you can install back to your HDD if you wish or just boot from USB stick.

Fricken awesome! GS is running stable as hell.

Comments

• rebumprebump Member Posts: 1,058
    On what hardware are you seeing these good results? Also, why would it be any more stable than the native hardware? Just doesn't make sense.
  • HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
    I forgot to mention that it only works on intel machines.

I installed it on a Lenovo IBM Thinkpad t60 notebook (intel core duo, ati x1400) and I didn't experienced a single crash with gamesalad.

With IPC 10.5.6 Universal Final (and 10.5.7 and 10.5.8) GS always crashed after a save and when I clicked the back button and on other random occassions.

With 10.6.2 not a single crash.
    I also have to tell that I didn't test extensively, because I messed around with Wifi almost two days.

Unfortunately it is impossible to install Intel Wifi. I have to buy a broadcom PCMCIA card.

But I tried all standard projects in the creator enad clicked around long enough. It should have produced at least one crash in this time, but nothing.
  • TwistedMechTwistedMech Member Posts: 408
    Does sound work ok on the T60? I have a T60 somewhere so will try your method also.

I used Rebel EFI on Gigabyte G41M-ES MB with Snow Leopard I purchased from Apple and all works ok except sound which I used USB head phones.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    Well, I'm glad it's working for you, but as someone who works with both PCs and Macs, I'd prefer to work on a Mac any day.

But that's just me.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    And me! ;)

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

You have to install the Azalia Sound kext with KextHelper b7 on the T60 and sound will work too.
    It is at least as stable as a native mac.

For the mac people: nice for you. I have no mac yet.
    Do you know if it's possible you could get the t60 image pushed to torrent so I could pick it up?
    I own 2 macs plus hacking tosh but would like to use my t60 as it has better keyboard and screen res.
  • BeyondtheTechBeyondtheTech Member Posts: 809
    For those into Hackintoshing, if you can't get a sound card to work, spend a couple bucks (literally) on a USB sound card. You can pick one up at www.dealextreme.com for under $10 with shipping (though you'll have to wait about 2 weeks, as it comes in from Hong Kong).

Even though I have 2 iMacs and 2 mac minis, I've always tinkered around with the Hackintosh. Played with them when I used to own a Samsung NC10, MSI Wind U100, and a Dell Mini 9. Fun stuff.

I'm playing with iPortable and SnowOSX and they're pretty awesome.
    @Lardy: I will try to make an image and host it on the web.
    It will take a little time.

The problem is, I have a hungarian Keyboard on my T60, which is probably not the best solution for you. I don't know if you can change that in the preferences.
    Many thanks. If I can get it working and keyboard mapping changed, I will post a how to.
    Lardy: How do I make an image?
    I was looking around in disk utility, but I couldn't understand, how image creating is working. I always got an empty disk on my second partition...

BTW I managed to install a realtek wifi card and I have now full access to the net with it.

I am in paradise :-)
    I always do the following. I also make sure the external disk has been formatted by OSX because there is a file size limit when working with FAT formatted windows disks.

1. Start disk utility
    2. Select disk in top left.
    3. Click new image
    4. Select destination disk where you want to save the image
    5. make sure image format is compressed
    6. click save and enter your password when prompted.