Spinja - Game Dev Log by sciTunes - Showing Off Some NEW Art!

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Looks great!

Do you, by any chance, like ninjas? :-)
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    @jonmulcahy - like this?

• morphinegamingmachinemorphinegamingmachine Member, PRO Posts: 449
    i thought your old art was great. but moving towards a more realistic looking ninja i suppose?

looks awesome, did you ever make those three other game play elements?
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    @scitunes - Not sure how I missed this thread... Looking amazing!

In my opinion after watching the newest video, I would make the distance that it comes away from the circles a little less. It will look a little more realistic I'm guessing.

Keep up the awesome work buddy!

Ace
    i feel that just having the old spinning tops worked great, the 3 d looks alittle too forced
    @mynameisace - do you think it would look better with the outer ones having less depth or the middle ones having a bit more depth?
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    I just think that to make it more realistic, the effect needs to be less exaggerated.

In real life, the outside ones would look more like the inside ones and the sides of the inside ones would hardly be visible.

The pseudo 3D effects need a lot of trial and error to get them looking realistic, but if done right, it definitely pays off!

Ace
    Yea, ace is right, it is a little exaggerated in its current form. With that much distance between the objects, they would have to be incredibly tall to see that much of the side.

Then again, this is about a little ninja jumping from floating rotating pegs, so do what you like :)

Then again, this is about a little ninja jumping from floating rotating pegs, so do what you like :)
    Best quote ever!

Ace
    One more try!

Thanks for watching the same thing over and over guys! I appreciate the feedback, it has really helped!

you guys rock!
    Yea that's nice, nice and subtle. Really gives the game some depth
    We love watching the same thing over and over. There would have only been one action movie ever made if that weren't the case.

Looking infinitely better now, one only slight nit-picking thing is that for the viewing angle, the top one would be less than it is. Other than that, it looks like a really cool pseudo effect buddy!

Ace
  • capitalcarnagecapitalcarnage Member Posts: 371
    How about viewing angle based on device accelerometer?
    edited April 2012
    @capitalcarnage now that would be cool good idea

@scitunes it would make you game seem much more advanced too
    hmm. That would be sick! I'll have to play around with that.
    It'd be fairly easy to do, you obviously have the calculations of the positions down, so just tie it to the accelerometer.

It'd be cool, especially if at the start of the scene you calculate the acceleromenter position and relate it to that, the. The user's comfortable playing position will be the direct birds eye view point.

Ace
    +1 to collaboration
    The trick will be to take into account the x and y position in relation to the center of the screen (which is what is happening now) AND the accelerometer (with calibration). Having it only relative to either one is pretty easy, I'll have to do a bit of experimentation to get both working well together.

Thanks for the ideas guys!
    New Video

This one does not show the 3D effect because I have been playing around with using the accelerometer to control the 3D viewing angle. Obviously there is no accelerometer in the mac. I am trying to get a decent video of the game on an iPhone. Hopefully I will be able to post that soon.

This video shows Basil's new spinning jump attack animation - it's pretty damn cool if you ask me!

• capitalcarnagecapitalcarnage Member Posts: 371
    Thats a damn fine spinning jump attack.
    Thanks! I agree!

I noticed in the first jump that there appears to be a bit of hiccup. For the record, that is from the screen capture app. On the device (and web preview for that matter) the animation is smooth as can be.

Hi guys, I wanted to show how the bad ninja follows the good ninja from spinner to spinner (not an easy bit of logic I must say). I basically have it set up so that every time either ninja lands on a new spinner I calculate the angle between the two spinners. Then I had to come up with a way to adjust for gravity and I realized that if the good ninja is in mid jump it might make it so the bad ninja jumps before the next angle can be calculated and the bad ninja might just jump off the screen. So if that is about to happen the bad ninja will jump straight up instead, which means he will land safely on the spinner he jumped from.

Basil is working on making images for the bad ninja. Currently I just used the same fighting pose of the good ninja and colored it red in GS. The bad ninja will be fully animated (And will ride in on a dragon!)

Anyways, I am really getting excited about this!

• ZoytZoyt Member Posts: 374
    Dude! This update is sick! Just a suggestion for when you get the 3D back with the accelerometer: Try to get the ninja to look like he's standing in the middle of the spinner by offsetting him from his position a little. This game is definitely one I'll get. The jumping effect and the random sword thrash is awesome. The last video with the comparison gave me an idea: How about a multiplayer version? Each player has their own timer and when it's their turn to jump, their timer starts running out. That would only add to this killer app.

Just wanted to show off some of Basil's amazing art work. There will be a fire breathing animation for the dragon as well as the ability to destroy the dragon thus knocking the ninja off of the dragon. After that you will have to fight that ninja.

New larger spinja and new sensei too.
  • DeadlySeriousMediaDeadlySeriousMedia ArizonaMember Posts: 838
    I like the idea of chasing enemies! Really nice mechanic addition!
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Awesome work!
    Can't wait to try this out!
  • Fredrik BixoFredrik Bixo Member Posts: 239
    Is it out? this game seems like it could be something... :)