Proportionate Depth in Art

JadarStudiosJadarStudios Member Posts: 264
Hey guys, so I'm making the art for my game, and I am making it with some depth. I have made on thing, and it has the depth I want it to. Now how do I have the other art have the same depth? Especially things that are rounded. If it helps, I'm using Inkscape.

Thanks!

-Jake

Comments

• JadarStudiosJadarStudios Member Posts: 264
    bump, maybe not proportionate, but just depth in it...
  • SpriteAttackSpriteAttack Member Posts: 524
    It might help to show what you did to understand what you are after... :)
    Like here I have the depth I want,

Here is another piece that I wan't to have with the same depth.

What I am doing is making a reference from a 3D model, then bringing it into Inkscape, and hand tracing it. so I will be able to adjust it from there too...
  • The two best ways to add depth visually (in my opinion) are to add shadows / shading and to alter your line-weight variation. Darker, bold lines tend to pop and appear closer to the viewer while thin lines look further away.

Hope that answers your question.
    LoneTreeInteractive said:
    The two best ways to add depth visually (in my opinion) are to add shadows / shading and to alter your line-weight variation. Darker, bold lines tend to pop and appear closer to the viewer while thin lines look further away.

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks, but what do you think of the way I have it now? Is it apparent in the way it is now?
  • Ah, I see what you're saying. I think the basketball hoop has depth because of the foreshortening of the lines and the perspective. It looks "3D", you know?

I'm not sure how you would apply that principle to the second object though. To be honest, I wasn't quite sure what it was at first. It's a trampoline on its side?

Perhaps you could add some supports underneath it with a similar line quality as the basketball hoop?
    LoneTreeInteractive said:
    Ah, I see what you're saying. I think the basketball hoop has depth because of the foreshortening of the lines and the perspective. It looks "3D", you know?

I'm not sure how you would apply that principle to the second object though. To be honest, I wasn't quite sure what it was at first. It's a trampoline on its side?

Perhaps you could add some supports underneath it with a similar line quality as the basketball hoop?

Yeah, its traced from a 3D model. The second object is a trampoline, and it is supposed to have depth. I haven't traced it yet, it's straight out of Sketchup. I was also going to add supports. But yeah, I don' t know how to apply the same concept to it. maybe I should have it kinda like this instead,

• dotsonj23dotsonj23 Member Posts: 316
    Way easier to get blender (it's free), trace the 3d model (plenty of online help to show you how to do that) then render as a png. If you do that and position the camera appropriately for each model you get perfect 3d depth. Takes some time to learn blender but it is great once you do.
    @dotsonj23 Ya, I see. but I like the way I'm doing it now. But I will keep it in thought!

@Everyone

Which one would look better? The one with depth? Or the one "Mug Shot" style?
    Ok, I'm just realizing now that neither of these work in GS. They are to big! How do I get them to be the same proportions as the other art... Hmmm.
    Ok, I think I can get it if I tweak it. But what is easier, the edge on, or the 3d one? Here is the edge on one I've tweaked a little.