POSITIONAL SOUND? How can I control the STEREO PLACEMENT of my sounds?

FranzKellerFranzKeller Member Posts: 517
Hello my friends, it's been a while, but I'm making more "music game apps" again. ;-)

How exactly does the "Positional Sound" feature work?

I know we can only use mono sound files in GS,

but they can be played back panned to one side or the other of the audio output.

Left side, or right, you know.

How can I send a sound 100% ONLY to the Left Side? and ONLY to the Right?

Is there any way to manually control the "pan" of sound playback?

If not, there should be! ;-)

Here's a possible work around -
the "music" (rather than "sound effect" ) playback IS in stereo, isn't it?

so I could mix stereo files with only one side used if you follow.

those go in as .MP3's, or is it .OGG?

Any helpful ideas? Quantum Sheep, my old friend? ;-) Or anyone else?

THANKS! From all of us at Radarhead.

Comments

• SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    I believe its based on the actor with the camera. So say if your Actor that you control (and has the camera attribute) gets closer to another actor that has has sound attribute (say an alien making space noises) you would hear that sound gradually as you got closer and in the direction it was coming from.

hope that helps

Suburban Grand Prix

Barnyard Stackem

Orbitz! Jump Adventure

Space Tech Defender
  • 3xL3xL Member Posts: 676
    SingleSparq said:
    I believe its based on the actor with the camera. So say if your Actor that you control (and has the camera attribute) gets closer to another actor that has has sound attribute (say an alien making space noises) you would hear that sound gradually as you got closer and in the direction it was coming from.

hope that helps

Suburban Grand Prix

Barnyard Stackem

Orbitz! Jump Adventure

Space Tech Defender

he/she is correct. we used sound positioning in our first game and it worked awesomely (is that a word?). give it a shot. play with it.
  • 3xL3xL Member Posts: 676
    oh ok :p thanks!
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    @Franz. With positional audio checked mono 'sounds' are effectively panned left or right by their position within a scene, adding velocity shift gives a pseudo doppler/frequency change effect but that only works if GS sees 'real?' velocity, constrained to mouse/touch or interpolated movement for instance does not register as velocity.
  • FranzKellerFranzKeller Member Posts: 517
    Thanks all! That's what I thought. ( How interesting - "doppler" is included. )

So it's the X placement of the actor relative to the camera?
    ( and Y placement has no effect? )

also - is VOLUME of a sound effected in any way by this?
    (does it get louder if closer to the center of the screen?)

BUT There is no way to manually specify - play sound Q panned 100% left?

(other than to have an actor do it - that is all the way to the left of the screen?)

to my music focused game idea, this could be important, you see...
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    The game I'm making at the moment is 99% audio... (1% visual).

All done using the sound placement effect. Its quite amazing what can be achieved.

I believe sound volume is affected but it may have to go some way off the screen to get it to go to 0, works well for walking past sound emitting objects, In my game I added a rule so as things drop vertically the sound gets louder as well, rather than just horizontally.

The only way to "play sound Q panned 100% left?"

Would need to have an actor placed on the left side of you screen and have the audio played from that with positional sound ticked on. Sorry but don't think there is currently any other way.

good luck...

............................................................................................................
    For a collection of professional GameSalad templates and to check out the Summers 'Think Outside The Box' GameSalad competition entries head on over to www.stormystudio.com
  • FranzKellerFranzKeller Member Posts: 517
    Thank you, Storrmy!

Really, it would be easier for them to code in a specified value than do it positionally!

So perhaps we can have this in a future version?