Blending modes... can we change them through a rule?

ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
Im wanting to change the blending mode on actors, between normal and additive depending on certain situations in gameplay, but cant seem to get it working.

I can access the actors blending mode in the rule editor, but it doesnt give me any selectable options to change in the expression window. Ive tried typing in the "Normal" and "Additive" in the expression window, but it doesnt seem to do anything.

Does anyone know if we can actually change the Blending mode through a rule.... and if so, what am i doing wrong?

I guess i could do it with multiple actors, each set to the different blend modes, but it would be more efficient and easier to use if i could just have the one actor and control the blend mode change through a rule...

Comments

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    I haven't tried doing it but i would guess no because you can't change other attributes like restitution..say you set restitution to 0 initially and then want your actor to have 1 its not possible.

I have requested this to the team a while back but no luck yet,.

Darren.

GS TOOLS
    GAME TEMPLATES
    Video Tutorials
    Forum
    3rd party marketplace
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    Nope, just tried every possible way I can think of but I think you're going to have to succumb to switching X & Y values with another actor.

Ace
  • old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    There might be some tricks you can pull with particles effects with images and blend effects as you can shove different set ups within rules within the actor. They are a pain as the settings are so weird, but you could try it. There might also be something you can do with layers of background/foreground that switch in front / behind you actor in different blend mode. I know this all a bit a*** over t**, but I ve had some success with doing lighting effects this way.
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    You can find things like this out with a display text - blending modes are 0 to 4 - you can change them, the value is stored but has no effect.
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    Thanks for the info and help guys.

Looks like I'll probably just have to do it with multiple actors then :(