Files types and Resolutions?

hecticryryhecticryry Member Posts: 2
Hi everyone I'm new to GameSalad,

I have a fun game idea with some friends we hope to bring to life but one thing stands in our way... we can't seem to find a straight answer for my following Art related questions:

1. What file type is an animated sprite?
2. What file type is used for static images such as backgrounds and menus etc
3. Can the images be any size as long as they are to the power of 2 ?

If anyone could help me it would be most appreciated,

Ryry

Comments

• JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    1. PNG
    2. PNG
    3. It can be ANY size up to 1024 x 1024. It does not HAVE to be power of 2. For instance...

Instead of distorting an image that is 28 x 28 to make it a power of 2 (32 x 32), either just keep it (because it's not wasting really any memory), or if you want put it on a 32 x 32 with the other 4 x 4 invisible.

EDIT: Whatever kind of image you put into GS it is going to convert it to PNG. But you should save as PNG anyways.
    Not all my images are power of 2. I try when I can, but I don't concern myself over it TOO much (as long as I'm not just OVER like 34 x 34)

Hope this helps. Time for my beauty rest now.
  • hecticryryhecticryry Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much for your time JGary321,

Thats awesome, enjoy your rest!
  • CoIinCoIin Member Posts: 197
    One thing to add to #2, you import an image sequence of pngs, and drag those into your Animate attribute. You don't import either an animated gif or animated png.

One very easy way to work is by using Flash, if you have that. There you could get the animation just right, previewing in Flash, and then export a png sequence to take to GameSalad.
  • QuinnZoneStudiosQuinnZoneStudios Member Posts: 452
    I just took a look at the Wiki and it definitely needs to be fleshed out as far as details on options for creating PNGs and how to optimize them etc. A comprehensive list of possible programs to do this with would help also.
    Is that something any of us can add to or does it all go through GS first for approval?
  • JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    Mike, feel free to edit. You should see an edit button on a page you wish to edit.