GameSalad Book

PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
edited November -1 in Introductions
As I'm working on my game, I'm realizing that a GameSalad textbook could be very useful. I'm getting to the point where I'm feeling more confident with the software... so confident that I feel I could write this book.

I started reading about unauthorized guides. The legal part seems confusing to me. Would Gendai Games sue me if I made such a book?

I'm a self-published author. I know how to get a book listed on Amazon and sites like that. Since I can relate to the situation of the reader, I feel that I could create an excellent book. Yet, I don't want to make Gendai Games angry either.

So... to the friendly people at Gendai Games, what do you think? Does this sound interesting to you? Do you already have plans to publish your own book? If not, maybe we could team up.

Comments

• design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    You should talk to firemaplegames, tshirtbooth and a couple of other people about doing one. I would guess that the GameSalad people are too busy trying to get this out of beta to think about a book. But it is a good idea.
  • aalzankiaalzanki Member Posts: 283
    I think it would be very nice and helpful
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Yeah would be great, if you could get yourself and the top 5 GS makers to contribute with tips and tricks. Sort of like a easy to read version of the wiki would be great.
  • SlowboySlowboy Member, PRO Posts: 329
    Why don't you make the book as a GS app? Then you could have real examples, and you don't need to kill any trees!
  • CoIinCoIin Member Posts: 197
    What if the point of the game was to kill trees? Eastbound could probably put out a Kill the Tree in almost no time!

About the book, it might make sense to time it for whenever v1.0 is released.
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    Ha, a kill the trees, warm the planet type game could have a real audience with conservatives. Brilliant!
  • debugdesigndebugdesign Member Posts: 886
    If you were going to the effort of writing a book why not just update the Wiki...

They are dying for people to write the how to's!
  • giacomopoppigiacomopoppi Member, PRO Posts: 914
  • adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,067
    Photics, send us an email at the contact -at- gendaigames -dot- com address and we can talk further about a book.
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    I have the game maker apprentice book and it's pretty good with 5-6 games with various examples and comes with a CD although i would of liked to of see physics and extra features it was a good read.

If there was a book made i would like to see advanced features and code and less of the basic stuff as i think there's plenty of tutorials to cover beginners.

Darren.

PS i would be happy to pay $9.99 for an ebook or $19.99 in paperback form.
  • rebumprebump Member Posts: 1,058
    I'd pay $9.99 for a DEV answer to this post:

http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=3717

:-)
  • QuinnZoneStudiosQuinnZoneStudios Member Posts: 452
    Well done guys - great topic!
    As Colin said maybe coincide with 1.0 release? Updating the Wiki is ALWAYS good but I do find I have to print a lot of the pages out anyway while I'm working on a problem - so much for saving trees lol!
    So yeah I'd buy the book, especially if it went beyond the basics.

Go Saladeers!
  • synthesissynthesis Member Posts: 1,693
    Who needs a book when you have this great GameSalad community!!!
    I do!
    I still am having trouble correctly switching animations ;)
  • synthesissynthesis Member Posts: 1,693
    To Mike Quinn

Rule:
    When animationRequest=1
    Change to animation 1
    otherwise:
    Change to animation 2
  • sdparduesdpardue Member Posts: 110
    rebump -- I'll add $9.99 to that!
  • pastranapastrana Member Posts: 7
    I WANT IT!
    Ha thanks Synthesis! More rule testing for me.
    Much appreciated!
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    @Mike - I took a look at your problem and posted a possible solution...
    Wow - you are all superstars! Lemme rush over and take a look - thanks!!!
  • iDeveloperziDeveloperz Member Posts: 1,169
    Cool a book would be awesome, I made an app for how to use it once in xcode but gave up. I added a couple of videos and tutorials on a nav bar app. But i didn't like my voice. Maybe I could finish it when I'm older.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    I'm glad that you like the idea of a GameSalad book. I'm planning to get back to this project once the iPad hype is over.