ART COMPETITION! Winner gets $10 and potentially higher paying future work!! :D

ozboybrianozboybrian PRO Posts: 2,102
Hey all!...

If you've seen my recent posts you would of noticed i'm making a game that has Mechs in it.

Currently my Graphics Artist is to over worked and needs a hand from the best out there!

If you pass and can do the things I require i'm willing to pay about $100-$200 for whatever you can do and we'll go from there.

Ok so the challenge!

- Design a futuristic (year 2050) Black Jet/Aircraft.
THEN... Design its transformed "Mech" Form.
(Animation is required if I choose to hire someone)

$10 if you win, $20 if I decide to use it :D

READY SET GO!

The original art...
http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/36019/concept-art-for-our-upcoming-game.-what-do-you-think#Item_5

Comments

• ozboybrianozboybrian PRO Posts: 2,102
    My Posts Never work O_O
  • mychonymychony Removed Posts: 56
    It's a lot of work for $10.
    Have fun... Possibly get $20.
    Possibly make even more $$$ if you get a job out of it : )
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure how well I would be able to design this type of artwork. I'll think about.

Cheers,
    Chony
  • DhondonDhondon Member Posts: 717
    I sometimes does free samples for projects that pays over 500$. But 20$ for all that work? An good looking transformation from an jet to a mech would require a good deal of planing and work.
  • mu-kowAPPSmu-kowAPPS Member Posts: 233
    Your reward is too low.
  • 3d103d10 Member Posts: 471
    Too low man are you looking for crap.
    Pay at least a $100.
  • CloudsClouds Member Posts: 1,599
    edited December 2011
    I think you would be better off simply asking if someone could do it as a favour / for free - offering $10 (with the possibility of a whole $20!) looks a little derisory.

You are basically on the threshold of single figure digits ! Lol !

But who knows, maybe some student might go for it, but if you want to be serious about this you might need to offer a decent rate (or some other offer like $XXX if the game sells a certain amount).

?

• LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    @dhondon
    Yes i totally agree, $20 is so not worth it for all of this work,
    Oh by the way its great to see you back posting in the forums mate?? Would you be interested in a small job of mine?? if you are: email me at thermoapps@gmail.com
  • DhondonDhondon Member Posts: 717
    @ozboybrian
    I guess its seems a bit strange to compete for extremely low payment. But no wonder you tried. I've see a lot of artists here working for pocket-money ( have to assume they're under 18, not paying taxes and living with their parents.)

@LeonardDeveloper
    Always entertaining to see what people are up to here. Not able to do more projects right now. I'm working full-time on a large project.But I'll be available again between 15-25 January. Right now I'm only doing small fixes and additions on previous projects for previous clients when I got some spare time.
  • ClockClock Member Posts: 308
    actually this is not hard probly require an hour to do all the work. but the pay is a bit low :)
  • T8TRG8TRT8TRG8TR Member Posts: 120
    That's practically nothing especially considering you might not even get anything for your work...

good luck with your app though!
    "That's practically nothing especially considering you might not even get anything for your work..."

Hey c'mon T8TRG8TR, I think you are being a little unfair here, all you have to do is design a futuristic aircraft, then design its transformed "mech" version (which will eventually need to be animated) . . then your design needs to win the competition at which stage you stand to grab first prize, a whole $10.

That might not sound like a lot to you, but $10 converted to pounds sterling (UK £) is almost £6.40, obviously no one is encouraging tax fraud so let's call that £4.50, now £4.50 doesn't seem like much, but you can buy a pretty decent sandwich with that kind of money, throw in a pound or two of your own and we are talking sandwich and coffee.

: P

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    @tynan - £4.50???

You can almost buy a pack of fags for that much!

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

@QS

"You can almost buy a pack of fags for that much!"

That's the kind of Dunkirk Spirit this competition needs ! : )
    Don't complain about the meagre size of the prize, but concentrate on the potential health benefits winning could bring you.

: D
  • vectawrvectawr Member Posts: 43
    $20 + A "Promise"

for a custom illustration + animation is seriously ridiculous.

don't expect to get anything but crap.
    Hahaha... Sorry everyone! :P
    Of course like I said if I used the art work I would pay full price if you want to do the animation.

If I paid 100 people $50 each for art work that wasn't what I was after i'd be .... more broke lol.

I wasn't asking for the animation here though. Just two frames.
    hey i try to do it then, because i am in a good mood.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    edited December 2011
    I find this insane. People are jumping all over logo contests for $5-$25 the last week and i'm considered a giant ass for criticizing one of the guys for not laying out all of his contest guidelines upfront and instead asking entries to be altered be the contest is even over. and now this thread is asking to much for $20? Yes its more work than its actually worth but what happen to all the fun in the contest? Geez you guys kill me sometimes. If you don't wanna enter don't enter. I am truly convinced the majority of users here are not happy unless the complaining and whining is rolling through. Yes I know how ironic I am "whinning" about this. So sue me. Bring on the next round of hate. Im going to bed. :) :) :) :)
  • CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828
    Actually tenr... the way the post is unfolding is the way it should.. He made a offer. and people are saying he isnt offering enough. And when enough people agree. He will figure out this isnt going to work He will 1. Walk away and drop the contest. 2. Get some piss poor work for entry. 3 Increase his prize offer to a offer high enough to get some good artist interested. This is the way the market works. There is a 4th option. dhondon could do 3000$ worth of work for 20$. But I dont see that happening. And I dont think anyone else will either.
    Lol calm down guy.
    Its just frustrating guys. We got the monetization off the forums and now its here in a different form. and as always money added to the equation causes frustrations. not trying to blow up or pick fights. Enjoy your contest.
    edited December 2011
    Here is my aircraft! man took me several hours to make it, but i decide to give it for Free!!! You're welcome.
    PS: since no one join, am i the winner?
    Wow to many comments to Read and LOL to Kinwaing :)

Contest canceled. Sorry if anyone feels insulted.
    @tenrdrmer: "Yes its more work than its actually worth but what happen to all the fun in the contest?"

That's kind of the point I tried to make in my first post, the money is so low that you might be better off just running the competition as a bit of fun, but as soon as a cash incentive is introduced people tend to look at the process differently (comparing the money to commercial rates - etc).

@Ozboybrian: "Sorry if anyone feels insulted"

I can't really speak for anyone else, but I can't imagine anyone feels insulted, the general tone seems to me to be good natured, humorous even.

@kinwaing: Winner !

: )
    Thanks Tynan :)
    I know Kinwaing kicked butt! lol
    @Tynan All the other contest that everyone had so much fun were all for money. one was only $5. I think we are actually right along the same line of thinking. I just don't get why everyone jumped all over Ozboybrian for offering a contest with a prize but all over e for criticizing the legitimacy of the other contests cause they were all just having fun.
    The other contests where less demanding, and where merely fun. This contest demands a level of high skill to construct something like this. Not a lot of people can do this, the other competitions didn't require this much involved.
    :( My intension was to find someone able to produce the style I was after so I could give them even more higher paying work.
    But s'all good. I learnt my lesson. :)
    @ozboybrian Dhondon is really good with that style you should definitely hit him up for a quote.