Best free software for creating menus and buttons?

T8TRG8TRT8TRG8TR Member Posts: 120
I usually use photoshop but my trial's almost up and I don't have enough money ATM to buy it. I've tried GIMP but it seems really difficult to actually edit text and make it look unique. Should I just stick to Inkscape? Or is there a better program out there?

Comments

• mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    A lot of people use Inkscape and swear by it. I personally use Photoshop though.

Ace
  • FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    Or just go with Gimp for free.
  • RacetotheMoonRacetotheMoon Member Posts: 323
    I use CS3 as well. The lastest versions are way too resource heavy.

I can't speak for the other software packages others have mentioned in this thread, but there are a TON of Photoshop tutorials on youtube to get you started.
  • DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,288
    degas elite
  • CloudsClouds Member Posts: 1,599
    Photoshop, if you can't afford Photoshop then go here > http://www.sumopaint.com/home/ . . . . then click on 'Open Sumo Paint'.
  • T8TRG8TRT8TRG8TR Member Posts: 120
    How do I get the the latest versions of GIMP on Mac? I can only fine 2.6 and it doesn't include single screen mode, which I really want. I've seen videos of people that have it on mac, but I can't find the download....
  • vectawrvectawr Member Posts: 43
    Gimp Sucks.

There's a really cheap version of photoshop.

It's called "Photoshop: Torrent"
  • outsidethebyteoutsidethebyte Member Posts: 115
    iDraw and Pixelmator are really excellent affordable alternatives to Adobe software.
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    edited December 2011
    If you think gimp sucks you dont know how to use it properly.

And dont torrent programs, buy them like the rest of us. If you dont buy it you dont deserve to use it. Theres trials for a reason to see if its worth the investment
    Thanks for the suggestions! I really want to try a newer version of GIMP but like I said earlier can't find the mac download.

And I don't plan on torrenting anything. In my opinion stealing is stealing, whether you do it physically or over the internet.
  • vectawrvectawr Member Posts: 43
    @JohnPapiomitis No, gimp actually sucks. I'm not saying you can't make good looking stuff on it. But the UI sucks so bad, why give it the time when there are better programs out there.

"If you don't want to buy it then you don't deserve to use it"
    Not really. lol.
    edited December 2011
    yes really. Not sure what would ever make you think you deserve to use something you stole.

As far as UI is concerned i like it, but we all have our personal preferences when it comes to UI's. But just cause a UI is bad does not mean the program sucks by any means. Alot of pros say the illustrator interface is terrible compared to inkscape, so does that mean illustrator sucks? absolutely not.
    Soooo.... anyone know about how to get the latest version of GIMP on Mac?
    edited December 2011
    as far as im aware gimp 2.7.3 doesnt have any binary releases for mac yet.
    you have to compile from the source, or build it native with mac ports

both are time consuming and complicated
  • outsidethebyteoutsidethebyte Member Posts: 115
    I agree. We expect people to pay for our apps and services. The least we can do is pay the companies who allow us to do that. Don't pirate software.
    I found something that says its gimp 2.7.0, but I'm not sure it's legit

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/2726-gimp-for-mac.html
    @ t8 thats not the version you want that has single screen mode, and thats just a bunch of differnt files im guessing its the source

like i said the only way to get the new version on a mac is to compile yourself right now, sorry