Theme suggestions please - for the TOTB4 GameSalad Game Design competition

Comments

• LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    Nope sorry i sound the word for what i was trying to say...
    -A contre jour thème
    (Contre jour is french for against daylight)
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    How about a game with no art, just has to use GS blocks/text/etc - Will have to take some serious thinking out of the box to create an entertaining game with nothing but boxes.

Ace
  • capitalcarnagecapitalcarnage Member Posts: 371
    +1 to no art
  • ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207
    edited December 2011
    (something that is...) useless but fun

. no art sounds fun except there is no such thing haha. you probably mean limited to boxes... and geometric shape
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    edited December 2011
    Like the idea of no art. Or just geometric shapes....

Black and white is cool (my current game project is black and white and I really like the style) but just limiting the colour pallete (I know you could look it as good and bad) it stops the main point of a theme. Which is to stop people entering games they've already started. By having a theme like jungle or 'end of the world' it hopefully means that everyone is starting the competition fairly on day and won't just tweak the colours in their current game project to take part. I realise no art has similar implications... Hmm tricky perhaps black and white or no art mixed with something else?
    @ultima - I said GS blocks/text/etc

Ace
  • dmilinovichiiidmilinovichiii Member Posts: 620
    +1 no art

I think circles need to be allowed though.
  • WeswogWeswog Member Posts: 1,171
    A few ideas
    18th Century
    Mechanical
    Fire
    Lava
    Speed
    Time
    Seasons

Cheers, Weswog
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    +1 to no art
    +1 to black an white (contra jour) which is French for dark colours
    +1 to night
    I think it would be fun this year to have a contra jour theme or no art theme as it would really show how creative developers are without the art!,
    Just my two cents,
    Jack
  • svnsvn Member Posts: 445
    The theme, you ask? Quite simple, really. Time. The entrants should create a game with a 'Time' theme.
  • GraphicWarehouseGraphicWarehouse Member Posts: 927
    +1 to no art but I think you should be able to make shapes with out of gamesalad graphics
  • LuckyLurcherLuckyLurcher Member Posts: 343
    no art??? sounds a little daft to me.

black and white has potential.
  • ccpccp Member Posts: 139
    edited December 2011
    How is there going to be a best art use prize if no art is aloud?
  • HapiappsHapiapps Member Posts: 373
    If we can't use art or its black and white, then I'm out. Other than that, I think anything is fair. I am willing to accept a good challenge.
  • gteteris001gteteris001 Member Posts: 51
    edited December 2011
    +1 to no art only shapes
    I don't like the black and white theme.
  • capitalcarnagecapitalcarnage Member Posts: 371
    I love the no art idea and black and white, but if not all are keen how about

Basic Art shapes - square, rectangle, triangle & circles and only white, black & primary colours (red, yellow, and blue no secondary)
  • mu-kowAPPSmu-kowAPPS Member Posts: 233
    Ok, some other ideas,

Fabric
    Bubbles
    Wind
  • EthanZarovEthanZarov Member Posts: 156
    How about Robotics? That seems retroey and you would have like robot and techno games.
  • EthanZarovEthanZarov Member Posts: 156
    +4 billion to the no art idea. I suck at art :(
  • old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    Possible themes-
    A tribute to your favourite person/thing , a game for non humans, The Borgias, teach something, simulation of a game 25 years hence, a game with no winners or everybody wins by cooperation, device as controller for real world game, AI as best it can be done, make a game for your worst enemy or as an act of love, an autobiographical game (could be a whole life, or a single day or situation), all art from photos/film you've taken, 'How Bad Can it Be?'- a parody game to show the failings of games and designers, a magic trick- take a principle in a conjuring trick and convert it to work as an app and maintain the illusion, smartest procedural mechanics to monitor and adjust the game as it is played, draw everything with your wrong hand and a big crayon, everything formed from fonts (ancient Egyptians might have an advantage here), what game would I make if I was somebody else not like me? Just a few ideas. I don't really care about the theme that much as long as it generates genuinely original interesting projects that are as the title suggests 'TOTB'.
  • AcceleratedGamesAcceleratedGames Member Posts: 201
    edited December 2011
    What about time travel or evolution?
    That could really get people thinking.
  • CannonFodderCannonFodder Member Posts: 230
    1+ on the no Art theme.
    It will help people concentrate on coming up with some really interesting game concepts
    and not just fancy graphics.
  • old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    I'm sure the judging panel is well capable seeing through 'just fancy graphics', and marking decent game play and innovation.
  • gteteris001gteteris001 Member Posts: 51
    +1 to non human games
    +1 to time travel and evolution
    Fantasy
    dragons
    @old_kipper - They will never be immune to my super-secret-hypnotic-art that has pre-programmed neuro-linguistic messages to make me WIN! You're all doomed! HAHAAAA HAHAHA HAAHAAAA (That, by the way, is my best typed evil laugh).

Ace
  • master200012master200012 Member Posts: 372
    +3 no art
    Really like that idea. As for the question of how it can be graded on the judging rubric, you could grade based on how neat or organized it is(?).
  • SteamworksSteamworks Member Posts: 61
    lol i bet you could make pixle art with the boxes in gamesalad to make art. sort of like minecraft with wool:P
    +1 to no art
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273
    No art could be a great idea. I like it! However, I would like to see a game that I created with some nice crisp art. But hey, this only comes around every now and then. ;-)
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Well guys thanks for all the ideas and discussion...

We are nearly ready for the big contest count down.

I'll email out the final theme to everyone as new year strikes in the United Kingdom.
    If you haven't already please make sure you have signed up to the TOTB4 email service...on www.stormystudio.com