How do people make art for there games.

3d103d10 Member Posts: 471
How do you people make art for your games.It looks good.It must be difficult.

Comments

• WTDeveloperWTDeveloper Member Posts: 352
    The most have artists, which make the art for them. There are only a few, which make it themselves..
    WTDeveloper
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    Download Inkscape, and take these tutorials from SpriteAttack, and you too can make great game art.

http://2dgameartforprogrammers.blogspot.com/
  • ChobbifaceChobbiface PRO Posts: 491
    edited December 2011
    I use art text 2 for logos, icons, banners, and making menu buttons etc.

For images and animations - artboard, pixelmator, and anime studio pro. Quite a few of these are on the mac app store for a reasonable price.

I am not a pro though, more a beginner, so also buy some stock backgrounds
  • nCartoonnCartoon Member, PRO Posts: 54
    Im an Artist and cartoonist so its easy to me
    I start with a pen first then use scanner
    I use computer after that to editing coloring I use my Tablet LCD pen
    and photoshop 7.0 the best photoshop for me

my web site as cartoonist in newspaper
    www.cat-toon.com

• DrakDrak Member Posts: 75
    Like ncartoon,

Sketch drawing on a sheet of paper first, ink it, scanner and then let's go for illustrator ;)
  • TomCoffeeTomCoffee Member, PRO Posts: 175
    I'm not an artist, but I've been using various versions of Photoshop for close to 20 years. Never had any classes, still can't draw worth a lick... I haven't made any straight out games, just apps for parents. I actually find myself doing a sort of hybrid vector/raster thing with Microsoft Office a lot. I use MS Word or PowerPoint to create basic shapes and then I copy them into Photoshop and apply textures and filters to make them look more realistic.

I've used inkscape for basic stuff but I think you have to have some skill as an artist to really get a lot out of that. I'm now starting to think about games and, yeah, I'm finding that I might need to work with someone who can draw (but not necessarily a professional artist)....

Tom
    http://spillingcoffeemedia.com
  • ImprobableIdeasImprobableIdeas Member Posts: 8
    I make all the art myself. I have found that the best application is a £20 mac appstore app called Pixelmator (I think it just won appstore app of the year). It's really well priced and has similar features to photoshop. Also they've just added vector tools so it's really easy to create images. I've found that the combination of pixelmator and gamesalad is perfect.
  • macewanmacewan Member Posts: 214
    @slickzero, Thanks for that link.
  • SpriteAttackSpriteAttack Member Posts: 524
    Nice one, slickzero... and I repeat my point - artists don't understand why coders can't do art the way they do - and the other way round. It's different mindsets altogether...
  • SteamworksSteamworks Member Posts: 61
    You should go try to make your own artwork, its fun and you might really get into art! i'm not the greatest artist but i'm teaching myself to make my art for my game. And i'm doing it just for fun! My sister is an excellent artist and i could easily ask her to draw my characters and all the art for me (and she would :P) but that would ruin the fun of making my own game for me. if you feel that you would totally mess up your project by drawing your own art fear not because their are loads of artists that would do art for you if you pay. You have to pay because artists jobs are to draw for you and they need to be payed to! have fun!
  • ozboybrianozboybrian PRO Posts: 2,102
    You can even find graphics partners to get a cut of the profits. I do that a lot now.

Instead of going 50/50 I offer them other benefits to increase my cut ; )
    Paying them some cash still etc etc etc. But you gotta show them some kind of value in what you plan on producing.
    I'm really blessed to have the guys working with me that do.
  • InvertedSoftworksInvertedSoftworks Member Posts: 30
    I make art myself using Adobe Illustrator its actually quite easy to make buttons and graphics(to look like cartoons)What really puts it together is the Pen tool!
  • RDRD Member Posts: 88
    edited January 2012
    I use Photoshop.
  • PixelgunPixelgun Member Posts: 111
    I draw and paint in Photoshop with a Wacom tablet. I also use Illustrator, and occasionally Painter or Sketchup, Sketchup Copic.
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    you use everything you can!

sometimes I take a picture and use that as base
    sometimes, I draw on paper and scan … but lately have been using my iPad drawing programs and emailing to myself.
    use your original pix as a separate layer and draw lines/shapes in new layer.
    I do a lot of graphics as halves and then duplicate layer and flip horizontally or vertically.
    you can always use some brushes/textures for things like trees and ground … even have some nice cloud brushes.

again: http://2dgameartforprogrammers.blogspot.com/
    SpriteAttack is phenomenal! make a circle and make the circles into characters!

MH