new to GS/3d character graphics??

dkruleedkrulee Member Posts: 0
I am just starting out with GS and was wondering what program I should get into to create 3D sprites. I am operating on a iMac late 2009 edition running OSX lion 10.7.2, I was considering Maya but will GS take the image? I know with photoshop all you need to do is save it as a .png file but is the same true with maya... (I've never used maya before) any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• bradhermanbradherman Member Posts: 55
    Maya renders 3d models into 2d images, png is one format you can use to save them.
    I would recommend starting here: http://www.creativecrash.com/tutorials for tutorials on how to use maya.
    Good Luck!
  • SpriteAttackSpriteAttack Member Posts: 524
    Maya is not really what I would consider a 'starter-package' - neither on the price nor the learning curve scale... so good luck,dkrulee...
  • dingosmoovdingosmoov Member Posts: 130
    I agree with SpriteAttack, Maya is NOT a starter package. And it is a very "professional" price... That being said you have numerous options to create your 3dSprites. Blender (blender.org) is a free/open 3d tool you can use, but again it will have a steep learning curve. Another you may consider is Cheetah 3D (cheetah3d.com) only $99. Another would in expensive, and good for Character work is Animation Master (hash.com). Be advised, all of them have steep learning curves especially if you have never done 3D.

Maya, Max, and Softimage are great tools if you have the time, commitment, and money. The good thing about learning something like Maya is you will be learning on a pro level tool and that experience is something good to have. So go for it, but if you just need to test your feet in 3D I say find a less expensive tool to play with first.
  • GraphicWarehouseGraphicWarehouse Member Posts: 927
    well anybody can practically get maya for free with the education account and the funny thing is all you have to do is know the name of the school
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    @ MjM

You cant use the educational version of maya for commercial use.
  • LiquidGameworksLiquidGameworks Anchorage, AKMember, Sous Chef Posts: 956
    Try Daz Studio or Poser if you want to start playing with 3d, and want to avoid the steep learning curves of truly pro software like Maya.
  • BFJoshuaBFJoshua Member Posts: 18
    I'd recommend Blender3D for making models for anything you need in game.
    http://www.blender.org/
    About:
    Free
    Easy to use(once you get the basics of navigation and using it).
    Can export animation as single pictures.
    etc...
  • diamond000diamond000 Member Posts: 32
    edited March 2012
    truespace 7.6 is free it's old but has alot of settings.
    only for windows.