TOTB4 - Crazybreadman (Rednecks and Aliens)

CrazybreadmanCrazybreadman Member Posts: 674
edited January 2012 in Conferences and Events
Ok, so I decided to do a game focused around a group of rednecks that get are trying to survive an alien apocalypse. The title refers to Cowboys and Aliens which somehow managed to pull of a serious movie with that theme and title :) I've watched The Walking Dead for 2 seasons and think the characters should be similar to Merle and Daryl as opposed to overly goofy with buckteeth and whatnot. Maybe a bit of inspiration from Left 4 Dead too even though the previous two references are zombie related. Not 100% set on gameplay style yet, but thinking you're in a truck and shooting/escaping. Another type I would be interested in doing is an action/platform game where each player has a strength and you switch between them (similar to Trine). What do you guys think?

Comments

• JamwithnoJamwithno Member Posts: 312
    I think that this is great. When I think of the world ending I don't think of aliens but it very original that why I like it so much. I hope to see some of your results I think this is one of the most orginalideas.
  • jobonoobdudejobonoobdude Member Posts: 152
    All I think is Trine is BOSS.
    so yeah, go w/ trine style stuffs.
    Best of Luck
  • CrazybreadmanCrazybreadman Member Posts: 674
    edited January 2012
    Ok, so I've given some thought and decided both gameplay ideas actually could work together. I'll explain, but first a little bit of the storyline...

The story follows a group of 4 rednecks - Ford, Misty, Cletus, and Wade in the small town of Chubbeebass. 200 miles away in the city of New Sancagoles, the alien mothership has been hovering menacingly for days with an impenetrable forcefield. During this time hostile alien footsoldiers and small crafts have been attacking pedestrians and the military day and night. Recently the alien attacks have spread to smaller towns, and you've decided it's time to take the fight to them. Of course you wouldn't be heading to New Sancagoles if you hadn't discovered an effective weapon. Sometimes hope comes from where we least expect it.

In the game you are driving city to city to reach the alien mothership. First you play in a 2d platformer to collect resources while trying to stay alive. You can switch your character (Trine style) and if you're clever you can find good supplies. You get 2 minutes in the city before you become overwhelmed with aliens. At 2 minutes you must be back to your truck. Then using the weapons, ammo, life ect. you collect in the city, you play a shooter style segment as your group heads to the next city. You choose your character and from the truck bed you fend off pursuing aliens until you reach the next city. So you go back and forth between gathering supplies and trying to stay alive between cities. Once you reach the mothership it will be an epic boss fight involving both styles of gameplay. You'll attack the mothership from your truck as a shooter segment. When you run out of supplies you have to leave the mothership partially damaged and get more supplies. But as you gather supplies in New Sancagoles, the mothership will repair itself while your gone so you want to hurry. It may take you a few trips back and forth before you can destroy it. And the weapon that you use to destroy the mothership? It's a secret!

What do you guys think?
  • JamwithnoJamwithno Member Posts: 312
    I think that is great I can't wait to see it in action. I have always wanted to do that in a game with two different kinds of ways to play.
    Thanks Jamwithno! I think it will mix these two styles in a unique way, and it will be something a bit different than any other game (at least that I know of).
    Here's character art for 2 out of the 4 characters. Wade is in the white shirt and Ford is in the coveralls.

• jobonoobdudejobonoobdude Member Posts: 152
    edited January 2012
    i think this is really promissing dude, really!
    and I LOVE the combining of gameplay styles, just like @Jamwithno I've always wanted to do that :)
    but just one thing, wont it get kind of repetative? Just my opinion bro, keep the good work up!
    Here's some footage of what I have so far. In this stage of gameplay you are shooting from the back of your truck bed and have to protect your friend's truck. Hopefully I will be able to tie up some loose ends tomorrow so I can submit it for the contest. In the real game, once the "ETA" timer in the top right runs down you will arrive at the next town. There you will scavenge for supplies before making the next run.

edited January 2012
    I made some changes and additions since the last video. The spaceships are different now and the "meeps" die differently now. A bunch of little things thrown in today as well. I think it has come together nicely at this point, to be a presentable demo.

Just uploaded to GS Arcade. Doesn't run super smooth on my internet, but still playable. Hopefully it will work fine on most of your connections. I will just make a video to go w/ this when I submit so you can see it smooth. Enjoy!