Which logo is best?

GamerfiendGamerfiend Member Posts: 10

Hey everyone! I need your opinions on which logo is best, and how to improve. The blue object in the center is supposed to a blue wire, but I am unsure on how to make it more wire looking. I made these for a team I am joining.

Comments

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited January 2012
    Hi Gamerfiend: my opinion as follows: definitely go with the top/first one. Make the word "games" a bit larger in relation to the words "Blue Wire", and move up a li'l bit closer to "Blue Wire" (it looks like it's visually floating off).

The background is really good - when used on iPad or similar it'll look fine but when reduced down to fit iPhone it'll lose a lot of its effect, I'm thinking.

By the same note, the words will be too large when on an iPad (too shouty) so all three words (once "games" has been enlarged) could reduce without losing their effect.

Maybe find another straightforward typeface but a bit more interesting than the one you've used for the word "games". Maybe even experiment with italic?

You can afford to reduce the word space between "Blue" and "Wire" a bit.

Also, why not try a round ended (bold) sans serif for the words "Blue Wire"; you don't need the distracting "zap" across the design (I know it's meant to be wire but look more like a laser or lightning to me).

And finally, all three words could move up a bit with a bit more space below the words than above; it'll look more visually balanced that way.

All in all, really good, I think; just not quite there yet, in my op.

----------------------------------------------
    http://davidgriffinapps.co.uk/

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• GamerfiendGamerfiend Member Posts: 10

How is that? Thank you for commenting! It's made in inkscape, so I can readjust everything to fit on the specific screen.
    edited January 2012
    I'm liking it! Personally, if I was designing it, I'd still move the word "game" just a bit closer up to the words "Blue Wire" then reduce the size of all three words, as it's still a bit "shouty" to me (especially if you're using it as your splash on an iPad). Almost there, though, I think... :-)

PS Perhaps I confused you when I mentioned bold; I prefer the typeface weight of the words "Blue Wire" you originally did in your first one; a bit more subtle...

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

I got a little confused yes, I bolded the words more and pushed games closer to the over all. I kind of like the shouty effect! Thanks for your feedback, this is the first logo I have ever done so it helps! :)
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    WEll to be honest none of them look like a logo at all, they all look like splash screens. ANd i dont really like the text. Just my opinion though.
    Okay, what do you not like about the text?
    edited January 2012
    Oh, I thought they were splash screens....

John means that you've chosen a well-used font that has lost it's excitement... (and you've also chosen two very similar but different fonts which confuses the eye perhaps; making the word "Games" a serif and even italic might help to contrast nicely; even experiment with making it all lower case. A lot of lower case g's are more interesting to see than the capital letter)...).

Maybe try a more interesting-looking the round ended font for "Blue Wire" as I suggested (which'll look more "wirey"). Perhaps consider one of these:

http://designinstruct.com/articles/resources/font-collections/font-collection-10-free-rounded-sans-serif-fonts/

Well, if this is your very first logo/splash ever then I think you've done very well. Hope it works out for you.

It's supposed to be a splash screen, what shows up before the game for a second. I will try your suggestions and post the revision here :) Thanks
    edited January 2012
    Look forward to seeing your revised splash screen then. :-)

Another thought, why not delete the word space and see if you like the two words one after the other? A bit more dynamic perhaps? (i.e BlueWire).

I like BlueWire as one word! I'm also digging the no black grate background.
  • ozboybrianozboybrian PRO Posts: 2,102
    A logo Is a Symbol.. Like these words should be wrapped in a Blue wire or they could be written in a blue wire.
  • SpriteAttackSpriteAttack Member Posts: 524
    edited January 2012
    I agree with ozboybrian - those are just letters without anything that makes them stand out. Create something that is recognizable, unique and you end up with a logo. At the moment none of the creations has any meaning imho. When does a 'blue wire' have any impact? The first thing that came to my mind was this:

edited January 2012

The idea is like cut the blue wire not the red one. Since the red one is the safe one. By the way Sprite Attack, I am a huge fan. I learnt everything from your blog!
  • SpriteAttackSpriteAttack Member Posts: 524
    @Gamerfiend - thanks... I am glad the tutorials are helpful...
  • EthanZarovEthanZarov Member Posts: 156
    by far the first one