What's an octave between friends . . .

2»

Comments

• CloudsClouds Member Posts: 1,599
    edited January 2012
    @ old_kipper

"I got my samples by generating tones within Audacity and editing them to a single cycle"

I tried this, with a pure sine wave, edited in logic to be sample accurate, a whole wave from 0 to 0, but looping it in GS was pretty glitchy, it seemed to want to introduce some noise . . . . as if the start (or end) of the waveform was not sitting on the zero line (so you had a kind of square wave element to it). . . . hope that make sense, anyhow the result was not a nice sine wave but a sine wave with a nasty buzzy sound to it.
    Fixed the nasty buzzy sound on my sine wave !

: )

Not sure how, maybe just got lucky with the loop point ?
  • old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    edited January 2012
    @Tynan You might try a lower freq tone (something like 55hz or even 10.25hz) and multiply it up to avoid glitches. Not sure if it would work but it might....

edit... glad you had luck with the sound fix...
    edited January 2012
    @ old_kipper

"You might try a lower freq tone (something like 55hz or even 10.25hz) and multiply it up to avoid glitches. Not sure if it would work but it might...."

Yep! That's exactly what I did, glad to see we are thinking along the same lines ! : ) I dropped the sine wave by a couple of octaves in Logic.
  • PixelgunPixelgun Member Posts: 111
    There's a nice Wikipedia article about music intervals.
    "The standard system for comparing interval sizes is with cents. This is a logarithmic scale in which the octave is divided into 1200 equal parts. In equal temperament, each semitone is exactly 100 cents."
    It has a formula for determining the number of cents from one frequency to another but I haven't a clue how to make notation in a post so here's the link.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interval_(music)#Cents

Who knew an octave was worth twelve bucks?
  • stebslystebsly Member Posts: 3
    nice one! Great to see peeps using GS for more than games! I just started using GameSalad but I've created games for a living since 1997... now I'm freelance and using GS to realize my own apps and games, like my current project the "Stebaphone", an ambient music generator! (I'm using my Roland SH-101 to generate the waveforms so it'll have a nice analog sound to it).

Cheers, Steve aka Steb Sly
    @ stebsly
    "I'm using my Roland SH-101 to generate the waveforms so it'll have a nice analog sound to it"

I used to have a 101 (and an MC-202), lovely sounding stuff !