✔✔✔LOGO DESIGN CONTEST✔✔✔

App SurgeApp Surge Member Posts: 651
Hey there everyone,
I was going to hire my graphic designer to make me a logo, but thought this would be much more fun. I am in need of a logo for my company, Red Sky. I don't have anything special in mind, but I want it to be unique and eye catching.

Now onto the rules:
1) Everyone has unlimited submissions, so try a few things :)
2) If you win the contest, I will need the original file such as the PSD, EPS or whatever.
3) Please post your email address with your submission, so if you win I will be able to contact you (I will also post who won here)
4) Vector files and PSD files are preferred, but not required.
5) The contest ends January 16, 2012 at 4:00 p.m. EST
6) Preferably I want a square logo on a blank background (so if you put it on a background I will need one without a background too)
7) HAVE FUN!

Lastly, it's time to announce the prize....
*drumroll*

A $25 AMAZON GIFTCARD!!!

So thanks in advance, and I can't wait to see what you all produce!

-Henry Abrams
henry_abrams@comcast.net

Comments

• PixelgunPixelgun Member Posts: 111
    Spec contests suck, IMHO. My advice, pay your designer.
    Read about spec work here http://www.no-spec.com/faq/
  • RDRD Member Posts: 88
    I was going to post my cool creation, then I read Pixelgun's article. After 20 seconds I was put off.
  • simo103simo103 Member, PRO Posts: 1,331
    edited January 2012
    I understand what Pixelgun says ... and the content of the article ... however i think there is a bit of a difference here. One, numerous people have asked for logo help and offered nothing in return and many generous people have provided possible samples. Two, all past images were watermarked and not given to the person so they can't be stolen (which most of that article focussed on). My guess is the person who wins gives the full files on receipt of the prize. Lastly, this whole community is kind of based on the idea of do work, hope to get paid ... after all that is the crap-shoot the App store is. So I think as long as you know what you are going in for .... then either do it or don't ... don't forget not every artist creates for pay .. some do it 'for the love of the art' (or some crap like that .... IDK :D )
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    edited January 2012
    @redsky
    I read pixel guns article and to be honest i shouldn't make one because I'm going to trouble for nothing if you don't choose it, But I'm a kind person so here it is:
    Plain and simple:
    1st one:
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2nd one:
    This one is free if you pick one of my logos:

I hope you like them,
    If you pick one of mine ill customize them around a bit for you! :)
    Jack
  • iCliffiCliff Member Posts: 51
    I'll have one ready for you in a bit, Although I am a bit busy with TOTB.
  • SpriteAttackSpriteAttack Member Posts: 524
    Come on guys... LOGO - check on what a logo is, what defines it and what makes it different from an illustration. This whole free or low-price logo stuff is really getting on my 'artistic nerves', I have nothing against a free logo or a cheap one... but this forum has taken it to the max and drowns all other topics under an avalanche of bad illustrations claiming to be logos. Creating logos is not quite as easy as putting some letters onto a background. It requires some thought, reduction to the essential, creation of something unique and memorable. A lot of those 'artists' around here offering free or extremely cheap services do not do the community a real favour. The designs often look rushed, nowhere close to a professional logo or even something that would properly help the recipients promote their services. I would like you guys to have a look at forums 99designs.com and check out the winning logos and see how it's done - even on low budgets. I am all for improving your skills and putting them to practice - but there is a fine line between giving it a good shot and just pushing out posts.
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    edited January 2012
    @redsky
    invest $19.99 in Art Text 2

you will love it for logos; buttons; icons; titles; game text; shadows and light on graphics … easy to learn and fun to use!

remember icons are a composite spatial arrangement of pleasing colors and fonts … but they should evoke an emotion ambience. (as the examples in Art Text do!)

MH
  • App SurgeApp Surge Member Posts: 651
    Ok, thanks everyone!
    After a lot of thought, I've decided to close the contest.
    LeonardDeveloper, please email me at Henry_ Abrams@comcast.net
    Also iCliff please email me at the email above. Anyone else who's already started please email me too.
    @Redsky
    You can't simply "stop" A contest, Or is it still going on when were emailing you?
    ----------
    Referring to myself "you can't stop a contest>> Read Here> http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/36125/gamesalad-competitions-on-the-forums
    @LeonardDeveloper, it has been moved to email.
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273
    @SpriteAttack - +1 mate, a great post.
  • PixelgunPixelgun Member Posts: 111
    edited January 2012
    This is my opinion as a working freelance artist/designer. I have no problem with people being generous, I myself give stuff away. But if it's a choice between seeing a guy get paid to work or seeing a bunch of people to spend their time at a chance for a $25 gift card, I'd rather see the guy get paid-- even if I don't personally benefit.
    @SpriteAttack (high 5) makes one of the points in the article I referenced earlier- these things often result in rushed work without much thought being given to the project.
    I'm not judging anyone. You do what you feel works for you and you live with the results. But nothing really good comes cheap or easy and in my opinion your projects will suffer if that's how you approach them.
    @Pixelgun, @SpriteAttack, thanks so much for the information! A nice read :) So I'm just going to finish the contest out for fun (and it would be unethical to stop now) but I'll get my graphic designer to make me a real logo :)

• RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    Props to Pixelgun and SpiteAttack.

For those who qualify, too many folks here selling themselves short. It's not fair to you and not fair to the profession in terms of business (as many claim this as their profession, or service). This type of work is not pinjata stuffing. Pick up a copy of the Graphic Artists Guild Pricing and Ethical Guidelines Handbook. If you are serious about this business, conduct it accordingly.

• gilesgkagilesgka Member Posts: 73
    @spriteattack you should go on my logo lessons post and do a tutorial/lesson on logos
    if all the logos are so bad teach them how to go it
    It's all on the first post :) But January 16
    @redsky
    Cool, thanks...... I didn't see the ending date there
    10 Days left :)
    @red sky do you like any of mine or would you like me to edit any?
    They look alright so far
  • AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362
    I don't have too much to do right now, so I might give it a shot. Do you have any games out so I can see what kind of apps you're making, and who you're selling to?
    Here's a link to my iTunes profile:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/red-sky/id447886544

Very basic stuff though, my new game is 1000x better, been working on it for about 5 months now, hired an artist and spent a lot of $$.
  • AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362
    Alright. I've got an idea. I'll try and see how it looks in practice.
    Sweet thanks!
    CONTEST ENDS TOMOROW! :) JUST A QUICK BUMP FOR @RKS
    Thanks everyone! Anyone else going to enter?
    More entries from me:
    (The cloud one had some inspiration! :D They took m 20 minutes! :D The second one is being used in my game.... but I've made it into a logo for you! :D
    edited January 2012