My First Character and Walk Animation

PixelgunPixelgun Member Posts: 111

I've made my first game character, and a walk cycle for movement. I'm happy with how it turned out and I thought I would share.
If you are like me, I wasn't sure how to go about animating a walk. A Google image search of "walk cycle" turned up lots of human walk cycles and a few animal ones out there. I used a horse walk cycle as a reference for my turtle.

Comments

• gilesgkagilesgka Member Posts: 73
    epic
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    @pixelgun
    I need an artist like you! :),
    Are you for hire or is this just hobby?,
    At the moment I use an local artist, and she's very good, but I don't realy like what he produces........
    Anyway good luck with your art and your upcoming game! (considering this is for a game right?)
  • PixelgunPixelgun Member Posts: 111
    @tshirtbooth Thanks!
    @LeonardDeveloper Yes, I am a freelance designer/illustrator. Send me a message and I'll exchange contact info with you.

This is for a game I am designing for myself. Hopefully I can wrap my head around GS and create what I have in mind. I plan to sell it on the Apple App Store when it's ready.
    @pixelgun
    I don't realy like using GS pm's as mine is fiull of messages and takes to long to load!.... I'm crap at art but great at GS coding so if you need any help on your game just give me a shout! (email)
    My email is thermoapps@gmail.com
    We can discuss contact details there too!
    All the best of luck,
    Jack
  • CloudsClouds Member Posts: 1,599
    Basically +1 to what tshirtbooth & Leonard said, a decent walk cycle is deceptively difficult to get looking good, but you seem to have nailed it !
    Thanks, everyone for the kudos! Looking at it again, I wonder if the mouth opening and closing is too much though? It looks a bit too Pacman to me now. Thoughts?
    So basically +1 to what @tunan just +1'd me on! ;)
    edited January 2012
    "Thanks, everyone for the kudos! Looking at it again, I wonder if the mouth opening and closing is too much though? It looks a bit too Pacman to me now. Thoughts?"

You can judge amateur animation by it's pace - amateur (or what we perceive to be amateur animation) is universally too slow and the movements are too expressed.
    edited January 2012
    @pixelgun
    Ok here are my pointers! :)
    1) this is a tortoise not a turtle!! Turtles swim!! Tortoises are land animals!! (sorry for the grammar corrections, but I'm over protective because I happen to own a tortoise :P)
    2) the mouth opening and closing depends on your style and what your game is based on
    3) the animation of the mouth is suttle, so it's perfect! :)
    4) I can't realy explain it but I suggest having the feet look more like tortoise feet; (I know it's a cartoon but I'm a bit of a perfectionist :P lol)
    Tortoise feet;
    @Leonard

Lol !

: D
    @LeonardDeveloper Yeah I know it's a tortoise, but people generally say" huh?" when I use the word tortoise. I don't know about feet, I'll think about that one. :) Nice tortoise!
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited February 2013

Nicely done! :-)

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

@pixelgun
    Ya, people don't understand the word tortoise.....
    Good luck on our game, you can always contact me for help ;)
    "nice tortoise!" thanks!, I'm sure "lightning" will love to hear that, that's a pic of him when he was a baby! He's now four times the size of an ordinary dinner plate!
    Yours Sincerey,
    Jack
  • Thefunnygirl991Thefunnygirl991 Member Posts: 1

I've made my first game character, and a walk cycle for movement. I'm happy with how it turned out and I thought I would share.
    If you are like me, I wasn't sure how to go about animating a walk. A Google image search of "walk cycle" turned up lots of human walk cycles and a few animal ones out there. I used a horse walk cycle as a reference for my turtle.
    How did you make that? I know there is a behavior called animate but im not quite familar with it yet ( Still making main menu etc in my game ;D)

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598

@Thefunnygirl991

Hi, for your info: each frame of an animation is made in a program outside of GSC; and then the individual graphic files are then brought in; then dragged into the Animate Behaviour. Hope that's some help.

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps