TOTB4: aario

aarioaario Member, PRO Posts: 256
edited January 2012 in Conferences and Events
Alright so after some deliberation I've decided to throw myself into the contest as well. My game is going to be a mix between tower defence and missile command where the player tries to stop the end of the world that will inevitably occur as two opposing nations fire missiles back and forth. The objective is to shoot down the missiles before they reach their target using many different types of ammo.

Thanks and good luck to everyone!
Aaron

Comments

• aarioaario Member, PRO Posts: 256
    edited January 2012

First screen
    Hey guys,

So I made a gameplay video to show you guys what I've been working on. Right now I've been just focusing on the game mechanics and have yet to setup the menus, sounds and scores/stats.

Anyways, enough with all that boring stuff lets take a look at the game. The objective is to survive as long as possible by interfering with the nuclear war that is currently going on. It is your job to save the world!

You control your gun by sliding your finger along the water. The angle of the gun is proportional to the distance from the edge of the device.

You gain money by destroying missiles, bombers, submarines, bombs dropped from the bombers and torpedoes launched from the submarines. There are 5 power ups that appear randomly when an enemy is destroyed; shield, money bonus, double bullets, life and the dreaded flip.

The buttons at the top, currently labeled R and E, stand for rockets and EMP. The rockets cost 15 to launch and will home in on one missile or torpedo from each side. The EMP costs 50 and will destroy all the projectiles on the screen (this does not include the bombers or the submarines).

Also as the game progresses the second missile silos on both sides will start launching missiles.

All feedback is welcome, please enjoy the show.

• ozboybrianozboybrian PRO Posts: 2,102
    Looks good so far. Can't wait to see it in action with some nice sounds :)
    I feel it's missing some "Pizaz" but I think it's just the lacking of noise :)
    Keep up the great work :D
  • jobonoobdudejobonoobdude Member Posts: 152
    wow, for 13 days of work this is pretty complete
    I is jelly ;)
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    Looks really awesome
    @ozboybrian Sound will definitely bring life to this game thanks for the support!
    @jobonoobdude Not bad eh? :) ..Ive been working pretty hard on this one, I love the game itself so it really has me hooked and makes me want to work on it all the time. :)
    @scitunes Thanks a lot! Yours looks awesome as well!
    woooh! ...just integrated IAP into my game :) ..thanks for the new build everyone at GS!
    First of all I would like to suggest that everyone watching my video, especially the judges, should watch it on mute. I feel it gives a better texture to the game :). In all seriousness though I did not make any sounds, I did not even try to make any sounds, because had I done so I probably would have scored negative ..hahaha :S. Anyways, enough about means my lack of musical talent, let's dive into my new game and the reason for my week of insomnia........TA! DA!

✮✮✮ Missile Crisis ✮✮✮

My game is outside the box because of the control system used and the implementation of my in game shop. The control system is a spin on the classic iPods where instead of a wheel I use the position of the users finger to control the angle of the gun. This allows the user to be completely immersed in the gameplay while not obstructing his/her view of the screen. In the shop I used game footage to give the user a preview of what each purchase does, and while it might not be out side the box in general game design its definitely a first as far as GameSalad is concerned.

Alright now that that is out of the way let's actually talk about the game!

It is a survival game where you are trying to save the world from destruction after two countries start a nuclear war. Your little island nation has decided to take it upon itself to save the world from destruction and its up to you to man the guns! There are 6 different kinds of enemies, 7 different power-ups and one piss-off (flip) :). I have integrated In App Purchasing, iAds and Game Center, all of which can be seen in the video. I believe that I pushed GameSalad to the max on this one, oh fun fact in my game scene there are 240ish actors. Mostly everything is recycled and as you can see from the video it runs fairly smoothly, and even more surprising is that it runs smoother on my actual device in Ad-hoc. I dont think there is that much left to say other then Ive yet to finish the help scene and add credits to the options page. so without further ado.....

I would also like to point out that I was having trouble controlling the selector in the shop. This is not an issue with my game its just due to the whole trying to do it with a mouse thing, it runs erectly on the device.

Thank you all for your time, I hope you are looking forward to having Missile Crisis on your device (after all it will be free) and good luck to all the other competitors.
    I would also like to thank stormy for setting this competition up and to all the judges who will be painstakingly reviewing the entries :)

Sincerely,
    Aaron Elliott (aario)