Project just started crashing on opening

WurdindustriesWurdindustries Member Posts: 18
edited November -1 in Tech Support
Ok so we have been working on our game for a few months now and it's almost finished, we saved it tonight then went to reopen it, now it wont open, it either shows a grey home screen (when you click home to see all your levels, thats just grey) or gamesalad crashes completely. I tried downloading my project off my portfolio and it does the same thing. It would really suck if the project became corrupt.... but any ideas on a fix? anyone else having this problem?

Comments

• rebumprebump Member Posts: 1,058
    Have you tried a system reboot and a re-install of the GS app? Did anything happen between the save and the re-open (like you upgraded to 0.8.3 from an older version) or anything else? Have others on your team tried to download the project and open it up while on another Mac?

I think you may be hosed based on some other threads with similar content but hopefully not.

I also hear folks say to keep more than just a single backup. :-|

Judging from your profile write-up, this is most unfortunate if you cannot recover. :-(
  • synthesissynthesis Member Posts: 1,693
    Just a reminder...
    Always work with version sequences rather than a single file.
    That way if the file ever corrupts (hopefully that isn't your problem), you only have to revert back to the last version packet rather than a complete redo from scratch.

I usually update my version sequence (save as to a new file name with a version id) every time I reach a development milestone or every couple of days.

This is especially true when working with Beta software (such as GameSalad).

Also...don't forget to backup the files. I usually make a copy on an external hard-drive ever time I do a version update.
    Karma or something. So I start that other post thanking the DEVS for a great product and opportunity based on the app that I was wrapping up with GS. I read about your misfortune and posted the above...

...well, I got on a roll and made about an hour's worth of improvements only to go into the "forever waiting pinwheel" mode. Luckily I save often between each actor edit so I know which actor I had edited. So I restart GS after killing it off. Upon load, my latest scene was missing (and I would guess more would have been missing if they had that recently edited actor in it). Also, the actor I had last edited, saved and then pinwheeled on was corrupt. Had to delete one very large ruleset and manually re-enter it from one of the backup copies as well as recreate part of the hour's work (most of it was still there and not corrupt).

Why didn't I just use my last backup? Well, that hour worth of changes I made...I hadn't made a more recent backup that contained that work. Ugh! C'est la vie! (or however you spell that)

This was the third time I have saved this project.

Too funny and sad at the same time. Double ugh.

Moral: backup/version/history more often than you think AND work in discreet units between saves
    Need a nice device alarm that sounds every 15 minutes to remind you. If only there were an app for that! ;-)
  • WurdindustriesWurdindustries Member Posts: 18
    ok so here's what happened, as i was saving the power went out *yikes* so fortunately i had emailed the project to one of the GS Devs to do some debugging fortunately for me and thank god for them they still had it and emailed it to me... *saving now on main, secondary and third hard drive*
  • synthesissynthesis Member Posts: 1,693
    Every 15 minutes!!!???!!!
    Geez...it sometimes takes me 45 minutes just to get a single sequence worked out...let alone a version queue.

Don't forget the battery backups!!!
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    Keeping a version history is a good thing. At the very least use Time Machine.